DR in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CookieMonster

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I just joined Scubaboard.com and am excited to be able to discuss diving with other folks. I've been doing it quite a while now, but my boyfriend just got his cert and we're looking to test the waters with a last minute trip to the DR. Anyone have any suggestions/info on what it's like at this time of year? We are leaning towards the north coast as it seems to have more character... Sosua or Rio San Juan. Appreciate any info. And great diving to you in 2006!

Welcome to you Cookiemonster,

I'm heading to DR in January with a girlfriend :)
We are going to the South coast - Bayahibe/La Romana area.
DR is not known for its open water diving compared to say Cozumel but the price was right so I looked for the area that seemed to offer the best chance for some decent dives.
There is a nice ship wreck in the marine park near Bayahibe (St George) so I hope to do a few dives on that.
Also, there is an Island (Catalina) that you can go to as a day trip and I've read that there is good wall diving there and a chance to see bigger life at Catalanita Island - a 1 hour boat ride away.

I've been spoiled by diving in Cozumel but I'm planning to keep an open mind and just enjoy the warm water and sunshine.

A good site to check out for more info on DR is www.debbiesdominicantravel.com
There is a section on Scuba and it will show you what's available for the different coasts.

Have fun!

Barb

Let us know how the DR is. I have been eyeing it recently. The price is certainly right and, hopefully, the diving is too. The pics in the dive guide book look really nice, but then they always do.

A buddy and I spent a week on the south coast in March 2005. Catalina is worth the trip - beautiful island/beaches. The diving at Catalina was the best that I experienced while in the DR. Not too many big fish left and the reefs are showing signs of damage even in the protected area.

The mainland based dives that we did from La Romana down to Boca Chica were a different story. We didn't see any big fish and very few small ones. The area must be heavily fished and the reefs look to be in quite bad shape.

It is what it is - a cheap trip that's ok for a few dives. I am told the south coast is some of the best diving the DR has to offer...

I am heading to Cabarete/Sosua on the North Coast with a group of friends from Jan 21 to 28. A friend, (who is not coming), has extensive experience diving in the area and I hope to get in a few good dives based on his advice and contacts at the LDS.

TAKE LOTS OF MOSQUITO SPRAY !!!!!!

I suggest Avon's Skin So Soft Bug Guard Expedition Aerosol. It is odorless and does not feel like you have a film or oil on your skin like most repellents. Nobody will know you are wearing it except the bugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom