so California boaters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey gang!
the wife and i just got our new boat.....
it's a 27' cruiser......

was wondering, does anyone here go to catalina via personal boat quite often?

any pointers? besides weather/timing? we're looking for other boaters to go w/...

thanks!

-dan

Make sure you have all the required safety equipment onboard. It's cheaper to buy them than pay the fine. I had a handheld VHF and GPS as backups to the hardmount units. Another must have item is a Vessel Assist card. One tow from Catalina cost up to $500 or more. You can get unlimited tows from Vessel Assist for as low as $79 per year.

What kind of boat did you get :)?

MaxBottomtime:
Make sure you have all the required safety equipment onboard. It's cheaper to buy them than pay the fine. I had a handheld VHF and GPS as backups to the hardmount units. Another must have item is a Vessel Assist card. One tow from Catalina cost up to $500 or more. You can get unlimited tows from Vessel Assist for as low as $79 per year.

Good suggestions MBT. It never hurts to have a radar reflector aboard too. You have to cross some major shipping lanes to get over to Catalina and if you get caught in fog, it will give you some peace of mind. In my opinion, it's WAY more relaxing to pick up a mooring than anchor yourself. You don't have to worry about your anchor dragging, and you'll sleep better. There are plenty of moorings in the major coves on the lee side of the island. I don't own an ocean going boat anymore - I'd rather use OPBs (Other People's Boats) - but have fun!!

Congrats, Dan. Need any crew ? :wink:

I'll be glad to come along to navigate.....:D

You are better off picking up a mooring than anchoring at Catalina. There is less chance of dragging and less swinging. There are some tricks to picking up a mooring. The first and most important is to get there plenty early and not on a holiday -- unless you know someone who owns a mooring and will let you use it.

I started to try to give instructions on picking up a mooring and decided it would be a rather long explanation. If you want it, I'm glad to give it. Let me know.

My recommendation is to go to Avalon. There is more to do, so you will feel more comfortable on your first trip there.

BTW: Where are you leaving from? (Long Beach, Redondo, Marina Del Rey, etc.)?

I am on the water everday between Long Beach and San Nicholas Island,, I would love to give you any information and help you might need. If you send me a email I will give you my Cell. Feel free to call for any questions you might have.

Hey Dan welcome to the PB(private boaters) world!

Are you trailering or keeping it in the water?

One of the most important things about owning your own boat besides safety gear is planning a safe trip.

You have to keep track of wind,swells,incoming storms,etc...

I made up a xint weather predicting page with all the best(imo) weather,swells,and wind info out there and you should get use to studying these charts and sites to plan a safe trip.

http://momentoffame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144

If you ever need any tips/info just shot me a email.

Congrats on the new boat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom