Back-up Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest, I have logged 80 dives here in BC, and have helped students with their skills, quite often being a mask clear or mask removal. Thus I have demonstrated the skill frequently and can open my eyes under water and see just fine, and I have never had my contacts float out yet.

Another thing, is what kind of diving are you doing? It is recommended (techies? - is it required??) that you bring along another mask on a technical dive (I know I will when I get the money to afford the equipment and training), but on a recreational dive will you need this extra equipment? If you are diving in an overhead environment, again I would recommend you bring the extra mask.

Myself, I have only been diving in the ocean, in which if there is any problems, I can ascend straight to the surface. Although it may be uncomfortable, it is easy to do and if diving with a buddy should not be a problem at all (I'm hoping you're diving with a buddy... :wink:)

AquaTec once bubbled...

another thing i do prior to a dive is to do a face submerssion which does many things that benifit me on a dive, but for your purposes it will get your face adjust to the water temprature in the event of a mask dislodging. this will prevent or reduce the mamalion reflex.

Very good. I teach that to students and practice it myself "kiss the water hallo". Saved my butt one time when a russian diver in lake Baikal kicked my mask off. Had the strap under the hood, but the strap broke on one side. Got a good shot of immersion hypothermia, "the thermal hammer". No big deal, knowing what is going on I managed it fine. It does happen.

devilfish once bubbled...
I agree with sydney_diver.
Why not have the mask strap under the hood. Both sides of the mask the strap will not break all at one time.

I'm sure that my buddy would have stiches from laughing at me if I tried to put my hood on Over my mask. If your hood fits right then I don't think it would work.

-K

scubakat once bubbled...

I'm sure that my boddy would have stiches from laughing at me if I tried to put my hood on Over my mask. If your hood fits right then it really wouldn't work.

-K

Of course it works. lots of people do it that way.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Of course it works. lots of people do it that way.

Tom

Why?

To me it seems like it would be painful to get the hood on and uncomfortable to wear, not to mention inconvenient.

-K

scubakat once bubbled...

To me it seems like it would be painful to get the hood on and uncomfortable to wear, not to mention inconvenient.

Why?

Just put on the hood as normal, them pull it back so it's around your neck. Then put the mask on. Then pull the hood back up over your head.

If you thought you put the msak on first then I could see how it would be funny to watch someone try to do it... ouch! :wink:

Especially when having a class. I lost my mask during one of the first classes and was very happy that someone around had a backup I can use.

I carry a backup since, altough never lost a mask since.

Ari :)

I've seen a diver or two wear a back up around their neck. Looks to be pretty popular with Japanese DM's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom