What is the origin...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
of the term "stroke"? I know what it refers to, but where did that specific word come from?

jonnythan once bubbled...
of the term "stroke"? I know what it refers to, but where did that specific word come from?
I have always envisioned it as slang with a medical foundation as in "a stroke waiting to happen." (A good refernece to the DIR fitness teachings.) :)

The word itself has many meanings determined by context... and I assume you are not referring to a CVA (cerebrovascular accident) nor to the action of striking or petting... but petting actually gets you closer to what you want to know:

An informal definition of stroke (as derived from the act of petting) is to curry favor by flattery.... such as stroking someone's ego.

The term stroke was reputedly applied to those wannabes whose performance was not sufficient to gain them standing and therefore resorted (unsuccessfully) to stroking.

The term is both pejorative and derisive.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
. . .An informal definition of stroke (as derived from the act of petting) is to curry favor by flattery.... such as stroking someone's ego.

The term stroke was reputedly applied to those wannabes whose performance was not sufficient to gain them standing and therefore resorted (unsuccessfully) to stroking.

The term is both pejorative and derisive.

"Jerk" became "Jerk-off" became "Stroke"

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Gee UP. You are so smart and such a wonderful diver too! I hope that some day I can be as smart, wise, dashing, bold, and handsome as you!

<Damn.... Failed again>

:D

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
Gee UP. You are so smart and such a wonderful diver too! I hope that some day I can be as smart, wise, dashing, bold, and handsome as you!

Thought you were serious until you said the camel was handsome! :)

Pugman, You are the bomb! I'm sure you have been the recipient of lots of stroking.....
As to the question, why not go to doc's section and ask it there.
The Thunder from Down Under,
The Gasman :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom