Diver Down, by Michael R. Ange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Egner

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone who frequents this particular section of the forum will find this interesting.

Ange examines a number of real life scuba accidents and tragedies, changing only the names and locations. He follows each story with his own analysis, and a synopsis of lessons to be learned from each incident.

It's an engaging read, and perfectly filled my flight time between Oahu and Seattle.

Steve

I'll second that, having purchased the book a few months ago. Good reading if you're interested in avoiding common mistakes.

Not something I'd recommend showing a friend before their open water class though, maybe a little too bone-chilling at points!

jky:
Best article I've found for pre-OW/OW students is Dave Barry's column on certification:

http://homepage.mac.com/pauljlucas/personal/humor/blub_story.html

I really love this book from Michael Ange - he certainly is an authority on all things scuba diving. As an instructor trainer in all the disciplines of tech, wreck, cave, rec etc ... he's got 3,000 students under his belt and like 300 instructors. His perspective is unique, but it's not just the way he tells the story, it's the way the little inset boxes break every aspect of the detail down. Using photos, cutaway views, illustrations of water/environmental conditions, equipment operation diagrams, formulas and neumonics for gas management and planning, and a few morals to learn from each experience.

My favorite story so far is the math genius with the ego bigger than a cave restriction - Phillip (names changed) Who bumped into "two significant figure-heads of cave diving in the last few decades" and argued with them that all their experience and rules were too restrictive and shortsighted and not only was he going to prove them wrong, he was going to set records doing it. Let's just say his legacy will remind us of the value of real-world experience vs paper theories. How sad for his young wife who "could not be consoled".

The most terrifying story for me so far was the public safety diver who spent his last moments just 3 inches from the surface with all the fresh clean breathable air he could ever hope for.

Such a sobering read.

Thanks for the heads up guys! I'll have to pick it up.

I just finished the book last night and I have to say that it was quite informational. I like the teaser that he puts before every story to "suck" you in and makes you want to finish reading the rest of the story. My favorite story is about the guy who thought his new boat got stolen., what a jerk. Not even worried about his girlfriend, I hope she broke up with that guy. I hope all divers read this book. It's bone chilling at times but its the real world. Let's not sugar coat our sport, it can be dangerous.

Its an amazing book. I wish I could have written it.

Whats important for dive professionals is that many of the stories (real) involve people who dive for a living and who have come to grief. It was a sobering reminder for me that all of the rules apply to us as well as to our students.

I had thought about using a few abridged descriptions as conversation starters with o/w students but thought better of it. Perhaps these are better left for more advanced students.

Omigod, that Dave Barry column is HYSTERICAL. I thought MY journal of my OW class was funny . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom