Trouble Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
During my first pool class i had a lot of trouble equalizing. and noticed during the shallow water exercises i started getting a stuffy nose. is this common or should i try to take a decongestant before i dive? any help would be great.:06:

I'd rather not take a decongestant before I dive, you don't know when the effect will wear off. May cause a reverse block. You don't want that.

you might have a sinus infection or some other problem that could couse middle ear fluid build up. go see a doc(ENT) and tell them what is up and they may be able to help that.

I get stuffed up anytime I'm in the water for 20 minures or more. Blow your nose, press against 1 nostril a blow once or twice. repeat for the other side. Do it all with your mask right in place. It may sound gross but when you start diving in openwater there's a good chance you'll end the dive dripping snot from time to time anyway. I do it skin-diving, at depth, anytime gas isn't moving around just right in my head.

Works for me!

Pete

Start equalizing before you hit the water. Try to equalize before getting ready, as your getting ready, as you enter the water, on the surface, right as you submerge, and often as you descend.

This video will tell you everything about equalizing. As far as a stuffy nose i get that too, but after talking to an ENT (DAN recommended) he told me to use something like claritan D 24 hour tabs about two hours before the dive and it seems to work fine for me.

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789

Thanks for all the advice. I will see a ENT Doc Monday morning. I think that would be best. My instructor told me he took 12 hour pills once in a while. And a few of my buddies that are already certified say they do the same. But I think seeing a Doc first may help.

I did the Doc thing...cost a fortune but it may be for you. All I found out was what mc22 said is true. Start equalizing before you put your gear on....a couple time while putting on the gear....while waiting for everyone to get in.....yada yada....get the idea??

The more I "prep" equalize the easier time I have when I really need to. Plus...dont wait until you "feel the need". Do it constantly until you are at depth and you will be much better off. Now in the pool I realize that may be easier said than done....but in a real dive give it a try and I think you will be happier with the results.
As for the other problem....just take off mask...blow snot...and redo mask. It not only solves that problem...but people tend to give you lots of room too !! (Just not recommended method to use on first date)

Well I had the same problem and went to see a doc and found that I had a cronic sinus infection. I was treatwd and contue to this day to fallow treatment so I dont have a problem. It not only helped with my diveing I now hardly ever get a cold and I feel better. Also, I never have a problem clearing. Go see the doc it can't hurt, but not seening a doc could.

My sinuses are not the best either, I usually take a claritin in the morning of a dive, and I'm fine... They last 24 hours, so I've never had it "wear off" on me.

Another thing you can do is to equalize on a regular basis (like once an hour or so) on the 2-3 days prior to a dive. This will help make it easier to equalize in the water, by getting the eustachian tubes used to being equalized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom