New mask and toothpaste?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angelfish

Reaction score
What's that all about? I think I read here somewhere about if you have a new mask that you are supposed to scrub it with toothpaste beofre using it to prevent fogging. Well I have lovely new mask - what should I do to it beofre I take my maiden voyage with it? All advise gratefully received.

You here correctly. The toothpaste cleans off the protective film that the manufactor placed on the mask. You want to use a non-gel toothpaste, rub it all over the mask's lense and skirt, and do it 2 or 3 times. Soft Scrub will also work.

So Warhammer - why non-gel? And what on earth is Soft Scrub? Sorry for so many questions!!

Gel toothpaste doesn't have the....oh what's the word?......grit, little scrubbers. It's late, sorry, but you get the idea.

Soft Scrub is a cleaning agent typically used for cleaning bathtubs and such, I believe. I'd have to ask the wife since it's been a loooong time since I've cleaned the tub. :)

By the way, you clean the mask inside and out. I use regular Crest toothpaste, myself. The toothpaste works wonders on a mask that has gotten dingy from use as well.

Hey thanks Warhammer - typical bloke, alien to the concept of cleaning the bath! Sorry for questioning you so late... I assumed you were this side of the pond, it is only 10am with me! Shall try a touch of Arm and Hammer and let you know how I get on!

I forgot to do this when i first bought my new mask and i suffered the consequences heh. Arm and hammer hmm, hasnt that got bits in it, i didnt know arm and hammer did a non-gel toothpaste.

oh so it has to be a powder toothpaste or will any old white toothpaste in a tube do? gel toothpaste here means blue or green stuff in a tube so by non gel i thought you guys meant the white stuff in a tube! Can someone clarify?

Not the powder stuff, just the regular old white stuff out of a tube.. The mint flavor does make the mask smell nice though..Just put a small amount on both sides of the mask and rub it around with your finger, rince it off and repeat. The idea is to "polish" the lens. By the way, the instructions that came with my mask (years ago) included this procedure and I do it at least 2 or 3 times a year. It does help get the build up off the mask and helps keep fogging down.

Back
Top Bottom