Mask Gradually Leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I guess you took that as a good clue to stop seeing the fellow.
laughing-smiley-003.gif

Truer words have never been spoken. This guy was a PhD and one of the most unintelligent people I have ever met.

Missdirected:
Truer words have never been spoken. This guy was a PhD and one of the most unintelligent people I have ever met.
:D Book smart, no common sense--lots of those out there :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
:D Book smart, no common sense--lots of those out there :D
Ber :lilbunny:
Even in PADI.
cheeky-smiley-024.gif

But sometimes you just feel like you can't win. I've got the Mensa card and the farmboy raising, but I still had to post a thread on Non-Diving to get help with what was killing my pickup starters.
cheeky-smiley-025.gif

Guys,

I know it doesn't hurt cus I suffered something like that before... it just looks creepy.

I developed an itch around my eye 3 months aga and started rubbing around it. Before I knew it, I had ruptured a vessle and the half of my left eye just went red. Gotta real shock when I saw myself in the mirror.

I have pretty sensitive eyes and nose, I see pretty well in the dark have perfect vision and tend to smell something before anyone else notices it. I really hated swimming because of water in my nose but diving has taught me how to deal with the discomfort.

Because of my sensitive eyes and nose, I really am very careful to do all my equalisation as often as possible.

After my recent trip to Thailand I gotta see my doc to find out why I often get blood in my spit after a dive, Sinus?

As for masks I had a heck of a time till I found the Tusa Viewtrek. I have large eyes for an asian, wide bone structure around the temples, longish face LOL! and deep laugh lines. Almost every mask leaks on me near the nose. I found out that only certain masks with a harder than normal nose structure esp around the bottom of the nose cavity would reduce the chance of leaks.

I'm currently using a Tusa Viewtrek and a Oceanic Shadow as a backup.

Thanks

SangP

PhD... Permanent Head Damage LOL!!!

pete340:
As one of my instructors put it, "you can get a box of yogurt to stay on your face if you inhale hard enough." The way to get a good fit is to hold the mask lightly against your face and have someone look at the seals. If there are gaps the mask doesn't fit.

You're right, I did and there wasn't a break in either. I dive with them both since OW and no leaks. Also, I keep a snokel in my BC pocket, but don't wear it on my mask.

You have gotten some good suggestions. I too have the same problem but it ususally occurs on my second dive. I have a rotund face (okay I am FAT) with permanent laugh lines that are about the size of the Grand Canyon. I have tried several masks and settled on a Mares X Vision and now a Tusa M-14. I had my mask too tight at first and I have noticed that if my body trim is more head up then my bubbles will cause my mask to move. I also tend to breath through my nose as I have sleep apnea and have to breath through my nose exclusively because of the CPAP machine. The breathing the nose thing for me is because, I think, I get off a regular deep breathing pattern and have to catch up.

As far as the laugh lines....I was told not to smile underwater. YEA RIGHT. Like that is going to happen. I get too happy and excited over just seeing little things underwater. I guess I need a full head bubble helmet like the astronauts wear.

I remember lots of trial and error until I found the perfect mask fit.

I'm a lady diver and my face is narrow near my eyes. Back when I started diving in the mid-90s I had problems finding a mask that fit. I remember having to flood and clear my mask a lot, due to water leakage. Today, they make masks that fit smaller faces, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Also, there were times that I tried to tighten my mask strap to counter leakage problems and that was the wrong thing to do...I ended up getting a pretty bad squeeze...

Good luck and don't get discouraged!

Ok, so I have a question. I am going to try all the suggestions given in this forum. I think my leak is I have my mask to tight. But here is a weird thing. If I dive I get a slow leak. I know I breath out of my nose at least a little each breath. I don't want the black eyes, but I don't think I breath out alot. Could this be what is causing some problem? Excessive exhalation through my nose? The reason I ask is because it only leaks at the surface. POnce I get down like 20 or 30 feet no more leak. Is this normal?

mcclete22,

I believe you have got a mask that secretly doesn't want to do snorkeling, only diving. Once it gets below 20' it stops throwing tantrums... LOL! I couldn't resist :D

Water pressure can do wonderous things, like force fit a mask to one's face. You tend to equalize a lot during the first few feet and that may be the cause of the leaks but if you can tolerate the minor leak initially, it's really ok.

SangP

One thing I didn't see mentioned - when you try masks on in the shop try the with a reg or at least a snorkel in your mouth. This can change the shape of your face a bit (just like smiling) so even if you think the mask fit in the shop, when you get in the water with a reg in your mouth it might not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom