What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally have something I can add in this list. I bought 2 AL80 tanks, sold them this past weekend. Now I didn't lose money on the deal because my LDS gives me free air for life when I buy tanks from them and I dove them enough to actually make money, but still it's something I ended up not needing because I moved to steel HP tanks which suit me better.

Thats easy my 7 mm wetsuit.
as a diver coldwater diving in a wet suit is NOT my thing.:nonono:

as an instructor I better stay warm so I can help my students
when someting does go wrong

FOUNDATIONER:
Stupid padded neoprene mask strap...absolutely useless.

This one amazes me.

Despite the thousands upon thousands of dollars of gear debt I've manage to amass, my slap strap is probably one of my favorite pieces of kit.

OK a great deal isn't a great deal if you have no use for the item. I bought a new 1 piece 5 ml suit on eBay for $50.00US (after shipping), the problem lies in me living in Florida, way too heavy for most dives and way too restraining to boot. I was very happy my first dive in it because it was cold (41 degree surface temp) and windy. But I would rather wear my 3/2 ml. suit for every dive from now on.

6 liter pony bottle. Completely useless. But I now use it to pressurise my regs when I wash them out at home.

I bought a body glove yellow and black wetsuit, not only was I the only one where I work with a colored wetsuit, but then I find that now I want a oneil wetsuit, just 4 weeks after buying it.

Seems like most things are personal choices that we later regret. The things I was never sorry for were: buying a decent BCD with integrated weights. Some folks don't like IW systems. If you buy entry level stuff and later find yourself a few dives a year kind of person than you did right. However as in my case it became an addiction and basic stuff didn't cut it. The straight scoop is to take your time, do research, watch for good buys, don't expect your dive shop to be happy if you ask them to service something you didn't buy from them (e-Bay) and add equipment as you go. I personally don't like rental gear. We were recently on a boat with a novice diver who had a leaky BCD. The dive master told him not ot worry but just keep putting air in it. Man, it's your life! Is he crazy? So the bottrom line is that this gear is "Lifesaving" equipment remember that.

Oh yeah. If you get into photography buy a digital not film camera. One of the biggest mistakes I made.

Rick Inman:
I bought an Atomic M1 reg last year and got the yoke first stage. I have since converted it to DIN, which I should have gotten in the first place for the same price, instead of having to buy the 50.00 conversion.

I did the same with my Mk25.

Number one regretted purchace: the PADI Wheel. I bought it on a whim at a LDS. "This might be cool." Wow.

Wow.

Give me tables any day of the week.

Rick Inman:
I bought an Atomic M1 reg last year and got the yoke first stage. I have since converted it to DIN, which I should have gotten in the first place for the same price, instead of having to buy the 50.00 conversion.

I did the same with my Mk25.

Number one regretted purchace: the PADI Wheel. I bought it on a whim at a LDS. "This might be cool." Wow.

Wow.

Give me tables any day of the week.

The PADI Wheel.

Some really cool-looking gauges that were nearly unreadable.

And a giant spray-pump bottle of Silicone. What the heck was I thinking???

- g

Back
Top Bottom