Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowboyneal:
This is an ongoing dispute that has been going on since January. This guy that runs the referenced chambers is overcharging -reasonable and customary- and DAN is challenging that
it is because of the greed of the guy that runs the chambers taking advantage of injured divers. However, even in that case, DAN apparently will work with the insurers to make sure an injured diver --is not caught in the middle-- of the dispute.

2 side to every story. You seem to be trotting out DANs line without contemplating the fact it could be them not being honest here.
Ive not seen proof either way that the chamber operator is the one overcharging here.

cdiver2:
You and I have had some disagreements in the past but I have to agree with you on this. WOW You took me by surprise with such a strong statement.
Well, I call 'em like I see 'em... as I know you do. :wink:

H2Andy:
well... no... the question now is "Is there any truth to this rumour?"

I received the email directly from SSS. It's not a rumor.

scubaaaronh:
Heres a remedy i am going to use. i am not going to go to these locations and keep my dan coverage. There are plenty of other places to dive that aren't invloved with these kinds of issues. Sorry for the dive industry there but if the government cared about the dive industry they would step in to make sure it kept divers coming back.

Doesn't this seem kind of backward? You're letting your dive insurer determine where you're going to dive? Huh?

It's got nothing to do with the government (and I'm really not sure that you want the gov't involved too deeply with diving anyway).

Maybe it's me, but I'd find a carrier that covered me whereever I went (and I did so). I was in the Bahamas a few weeks ago, and bought DiveAssure insurance because DAN hadn't come out with their statement that I would be covered by the Nassau chamber. I will keep DiveAssure after my DAN insurance expires. I don't like soap operas, and I don't care who is the antagonist. I certainly don't want to be flown to a further chamber while I'm in pain because of a billing dispute.

detroit diver:
Doesn't this seem kind of backward? You're letting your dive insurer determine where you're going to dive? Huh?

It's got nothing to do with the government (and I'm really not sure that you want the gov't involved too deeply with diving anyway).

I guess that is reasonable for a short while as you wait for the insurance to run out.

I'm not sure which government might get involved. The US government because we are talking a US non-profit organization probably can't do much with DAN. The dive destination governments wouldn't seem to have much reason to care at this point. And it is my understanding that the actual for profit insurer associated with DAN coverage is located in the Caymans, so they are fairly insulated from any action.

So, I guess my current question is why would one not want to go with diver's insurance thru DiveAssure? Anybody have any problems or concerns with them?

detroit diver:
I received the email directly from SSS. It's not a rumor.

bummer... well.... i'll be sure to avoid their deco chambers

This sux, I just bought DAN insurance like 2 weeks ago and have a trip to Mexico planned. Its not like Im planning a chamber ride, thats just my kind of luck.

I wonder if DAN is going to update their website to include

1. The additional non-covered sites.
2. Their offer to pay in full the non-covered sites.

detroit diver:

Maybe it's me, but I'd find a carrier that covered me whereever I went (and I did so). I was in the Bahamas a few weeks ago, and bought DiveAssure insurance because DAN hadn't come out with their statement that I would be covered by the Nassau chamber. I will keep DiveAssure after my DAN insurance expires. I don't like soap operas, and I don't care who is the antagonist. I certainly don't want to be flown to a further chamber while I'm in pain because of a billing dispute.

Im not letting them dictate where to go, there are tones of other places to dive on coral and see critters. I am just electing not to go to those locations. If a great deal comes up yeah i'll go but i'd rather go back to bonaire anyways, i like the freedon of diving there and being able to get four to five dives a day in.

As far as the governments i am talking about the islands that the Chambers are located on. With the chambers operators pulling this and making divers shy from the area you would think their governments would step in as it is hurting their tourism. Its not that the government would get that deeply invloved with diving, it is that the government would be protecting their income.

As far as your points on not caring for soap operas i feel the same way thats why i will dive in other areas of the world till this washes out. That way i dont have to worry about the problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom