Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:

Well, there are some others, but if DAN allows these chambers to gouge, then others will. Once the chambers get control of DAN, they'll really hit the others. You want to fight or pay?

Very true, watch they will be after dive assure and padi next. I read on another board that these same operators are already charing dive assure more. I wish i couold find it and post a link. Its not just a DAN problem, but they decided to stand up and say something where the others are just paying it for now.

cdiver2:
Coz has the same charge also?

Depends what op you dive with. Some represent it as a charge. Others call it as a donation which can be declined. As I recall, Scuba Club Cozumel doesn't even mention it.

DandyDon:
Did you not see the link/release...?

Not only did I see it, but I read it. You should too. Their assurances are only for 3 mentioned chambers, not the current batch that won't take DAN.

awap:
Depends what op you dive with. Some represent it as a charge. Others call it as a donation which can be declined. As I recall, Scuba Club Cozumel doesn't even mention it.

Then if I go to Coz again and they hit me with a charge/donation its just say no, as the chamber will not take my insurance

There are 9 pages of stuff here that I do not feel like wadeing thru, but a few things that I am "pretty" sure of from talking to some of the people involved on Cozumel.

1) The $1 fee may or MAY NOT go to the chambers. It is voluntary and totaly un accounted for. From many shops, it just doesn't get there and many shops don't even fake it. Just ask one of the reputable shops, and cross your fingers.

2) The chamber most of you are familiar with on Cozumel has been having problems with DAN, or DAN has been having problems with them for years. It seems that a lot of DM's were being treated for DCS that may not of had DCS and DAN was being billed for services. DAN as of at least a year ago no longer covered them.( Mexican DM's.)

3) I, ( my wife ) has had medical treatment there, we were required to pay ahead, and DAN reimbursed us.

4) That chamber you are familiar with on Cozumel is owned by the same people that own a bunch of other cambers. That's why the long list. Check out the other chamber on Cozumel.

5) To those of you that have much experience in Mexico, this makes perfect sense. To those of you that just want a dive vacation, this is unnerving.

adios don O

awap:
Depends what op you dive with. Some represent it as a charge. Others call it as a donation which can be declined.
donooo:
1) The $1 fee may or MAY NOT go to the chambers. It is voluntary and totaly un accounted for. From many shops, it just doesn't get there and many shops don't even fake it. Just ask one of the reputable shops, and cross your fingers.
When I was there I was told that the $1 went to the Marine Park. It was paid by the dive op and no one ever asked me for it, it was included as a cost of service as far as I know.

I dont mind some of what I pay going to the overall health of the diving in Cozumel. I definitely got my money's worth while I was there.

Willie

apparently DAN has responded to this latest issue. I can't find the actual
DAN response, other than here:

We can assure you that DAN members will be treated at all these facilities. If you are charged any fees or have any out of pocket expenses associated with your treatment, you will be fully reimbursed by DAN’s insurance. We advise all DAN members that if they are injured, call our emergency hotline immediately and we will manage the emergency and liaise with the chamber and member for payment of any claims.

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=07610425813

detroit diver:
Think about what you just wrote. The local dive industry will suffer because a chamber op has a disagreement with an insurer.

No, because a chamber op has chosen to take a disagreement public with half-truths and innuendo.

More than that, the diver will avoid some spectacular diving because his/her insurance company won't cover him/her.

No, because the local dive industry (in particular the local chamber) doesn't provide reasonable treatment facilities.

I think there are some priorities mixed up here.

Absolutely. This chamber op thinks it's appropriate to engage in FUD to resolve a business dispute.

I don't know who is in the wrong here (because I don't have inside information), and my guess is neither do you.

Read the "press release." Separate the factual statements from the implications, innuendos, and irrelevancies. "... DAN America dive insurance is no longer accepted for payment at hyperbaric chambers in the following dive destinations..." should be "is no longer accepted for payment at one hyperbaric chamber in each of the following dive destinations...". Unless, of course, the goal isn't to give people facts but to scare them.

Until DAN made the statement that they did on their website (which covered anyone, anywhere), what I bought was not what I would potentially receive. I think people felt much more comfortable after they "clarified" their position, but they need to do that again and add ALL chambers to their position, IMHO.

The reason they need to "clarify" their position is that it's being deliberately misrepresented.

fairybasslet:
I asked this in the sticky thread before I saw this thread. Here is my question:

If you were scheduled to dive in and around Phuket in 6 days, and you carried DAN insurance, would you trust that DAN would indeed wire money to the chamber there if God forbid, you needed it? Or would you buy new insurance for the trip?

I called DAN and spoke with someone there, and they assured me they would. Somehow though, this gives me an uneasy feeling. Like "The check is in the mail" or "I'll still respect you in the morning" kind of feeling

Why? Have you heard of actual incidents where DAN refused to pay? Or is this based on the vague, one-sided assertions that started this whole thread?

cdiver2:
Then if I go to Coz again and they hit me with a charge/donation its just say no, as the chamber will not take my insurance

I don't know, but I do not believe that is the case. Even when I have used an OP that charged me the $1 per day, there were noi receipts or records involved that I saw. I think that it is just a way of getting a couple more bucks from you. Like when you pay the marine park fee but don't see a new wristband every day. Or you are charged $2 rather than 20 NP for the band. it's just a few extra coins on the side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom