Mask Gradually Leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You only have to breathe out occasionally to stop a mask squeeze, and it should not be enough to break the seal. Frankly, I am not even aware of it when I do it.

Here is a good test to see if you have good airway control. Place the mask on your face and suck in. As you know, it should stay there. Now, talk for a while. You should be able to carry on a conversation with the mask on your face, without the strap in place.

I have been experimenting lately with a "therapy" for chronic nose exhalers. You might want to to try this routine. You can do it any time, including right now--no equipment required.

1. Hold your nose and breathe only through your mouth for a while. I suggest pursing your lips as if you were sucking on a thick straw. My theory is that this will make you more conscious of breathing through your mouth, as you will with a regulator.

2. After you do that awhile and feel compfortable with it, remove your hand from the nose and hold a finger below the nostrils, allowing a little space for breathing. The purpose of this is to feel any nose exhalation with that finger. Try to maintain the mouth breathing without feeling any air against the finger.

I have tried this with several students lately with pretty good success. Practice this whenever you think of it.

Try filling your kitchen sink with water and putting your mask face up in the water to make sure the mask isn't leaking. All this other stuff isn't going to work if your mask has sprung a leak for some reason.

boulderjohn, good post, I think I am breathing out of my nose every breath, I am going to try and refit my mask too. Great ideas, thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom