Surface Swim Poll

What method do you use?

• Swim on back

Votes: 116 75.8%
  • Swim face down with snorkel (lifting head just to navigate)

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Swim face down with regulator (lifting head just to navigate)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Submerge immediately and follow slope down

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate surface swimming. I surface, lay on my back and wait for the boat. If boat takes too long I put my mask on my forehead so that the skipper thinks I am about to drown then I get picked up sooner.

Submerged swimming way too much work, so I drop down immediately after putting fins on in waist to chest deep water. On the way back in, I don't stop swimming underwater until my dive computer comes out of dive mode at 3 to 4'.

What is this surface swim you speak of? Something that people with lousy sac rates do or something???

Al Mialkovsky:
What is this surface swim you speak of? Something that people with lousy sac rates do or something???

Hey! I resemble that remark!:D

Unnless there a heavy chop, I prefer to do the long swim on my back. It's relaxing and gives me the time to focus and get into the zone. I can take the time to get my breating under control, and do a final diva plan check with my buddy.

If the waters too choppy, then is face dwon with snorkel, or stright down to a bottom run. (After my buddy and I have modified the dive plan to account for the extra use of gas.

Option #5.... X-Scooter from the shore....

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom