Weights: better one kg too much or one too little?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When I started diving in open water in April 2000 (151 dives ago) I used to go down with around 9 kgs (roughly 20 lbs if my very limited Imperial knowledge is correct) with a 7+7 mms wetsuit in freshwater.

Gradually I went down to around 6 in a wetsuit, 8 or 9 in a drysuit.

The instructor who taught me my DM course (I won't go over this again, not worth getting angry on a Saturday evening) always said "better one extra kg than one too little".

Today I went diving with two nice guys from the French FFESSM organization and they were basically telling me the opposite.

I tend to be on this second opinion's side and now I feel as though I could shed one kg extra (going down to 5 or even 4).

Any thoughts?

Hi,
I completely agree with newwavedivers.
But I have to admit when diving dry-suit I rather take a kilo more, so that I can inflate the dry-suit a bit more and stay warmer. (Hey, I´m a girl, I am allowed to be a whimp ;-))

and I love that name, the more air you put into the drysuit, the more air you have to vent out on the ascent. That said, I think one reason divers may lean toward overweighting is not wanting to find out the hard way during ascent that they had too little.

Hi,
@Kelpmermaid, yes, sure you have to vent out more air, but I am used to this and I am talking about a kilo more than neccessary.

@newwavediver, do you bother???:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom