Open Water Certification in Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOBY

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I thought that I was going good and was about to sign up at a LDS within 5 minutes of me for my Open Water Certification Class when I find out that its done throught SDI and that its all online. And once I complete the lessons and pass the test (with a 100%) I have two pool dives at a local aquatic center and then a trip wherever I want in florida for my open water. This is not what I want. Not that I am stupid (just dont ask my parents), but I want to be able to ask questions and get some interaction as well as learning. So, do any of you know of any in-person Open Water Certification Classes in Orlando?

It doesn't look like you have posted in your local dive club forum yet. You'll get better answers there...

Click here for the Florida Conch Divers forum and post the question there. :D

KOBY:
Well, I thought that I was going good and was about to sign up at a LDS within 5 minutes of me for my Open Water Certification Class when I find out that its done throught SDI and that its all online. And once I complete the lessons and pass the test (with a 100%) I have two pool dives at a local aquatic center and then a trip wherever I want in florida for my open water. This is not what I want. Not that I am stupid (just dont ask my parents), but I want to be able to ask questions and get some interaction as well as learning. So, do any of you know of any in-person Open Water Certification Classes in Orlando?

Hey Koby,
I am not sure if you drive or not or can get a ride but near Orlando is spring country! A divers paradise! Crystal clear waters,and if you call a few springs they have good trainers on call,PADI,SDI, NAUI,And so on and so on!
If you ask you will have no problem with a one and one or just one other, as summer is a slow time and you will have great luck!
I come down from Wisconsin to do more training and have no problem with finding great teachers!
Try Devills Den,Blue Grotto,Hal Watts, Or go down the Scuba board to Locations, go to Florida Conchs section,my guess by to night you will have 4-5 good names to call!
Hey Good luck and Dive safe!
Brad

KOBY:
Orlando is pretty big, but I did my instructor taining on edgewater dr at the dive station keith is a great guy and has quailit instructors on his staff. or I can Pm you a number of a buddy of mine that lives in orlando that does private classes but he is not cheap. good luck.

Caver95:
Orlando is pretty big, but I did my instructor taining on edgewater dr at the dive station keith is a great guy and has quailit instructors on his staff. or I can Pm you a number of a buddy of mine that lives in orlando that does private classes but he is not cheap. good luck.

Ok, cool, I go to school over there, but live in southwest orlando. I'll check it out. And that number would be great, the class I was going to take was $399, so if its anywhere near that I should be alright.

Why don't you talk to the host of Scuba Radio http://www.scubaradio.com The show is based in Orlando. He is a recently certified PADI instructor. I am sure he would point you toward a shop he is comfortable with, or could teach you himself. drop him an email at greg@scubaradio.com

KOBY

$399 that's a lot of money just for the course. I am a NAUI instructor that gives only private lessons in the Waterford Lakes area of Orlando (I assume that you are going to UCF?) I charge $500.00 for private one on one lessons - this includes the course work, all materials (DVD's, book, workbooks, pool work, all of your diving equipment except your personal dive gear, etc). Approx. time of the class 12 hours classroom work, 12 hours pool work. What you would pay extra for would be your open water dives - I'd take you to Alexander Springs for your first 3 confined water dives at no additional charge, you would just have to pick a place you would like to take your boat dives (2 of them in one day)- I'd recomend Key Largo and you'd have to pay for the boat for you and me. If you have passed everything you are then certified to dive.

I offer this by way of comparison to what you were thinking of paying. I am booked through the end of July so I'm not trying to sell you. I would recommend a SSI dive shop on Colonial (Hwy 50) called Castaway Scuba 407-658-9464. They are open 7 days a week 10am to I think 7pm. Talk to them about their next group class. I'm not sure of the prices but this type of class should run around $160 to maybe $200 and include pool work and materials.

Hope this helps.

Louma:
KOBY

$399 that's a lot of money just for the course. I am a NAUI instructor that gives only private lessons in the Waterford Lakes area of Orlando (I assume that you are going to UCF?) I charge $500.00 for private one on one lessons - this includes the course work, all materials (DVD's, book, workbooks, pool work, all of your diving equipment except your personal dive gear, etc). Approx. time of the class 12 hours classroom work, 12 hours pool work. What you would pay extra for would be your open water dives - I'd take you to Alexander Springs for your first 3 confined water dives at no additional charge, you would just have to pick a place you would like to take your boat dives (2 of them in one day)- I'd recomend Key Largo and you'd have to pay for the boat for you and me. If you have passed everything you are then certified to dive.

I offer this by way of comparison to what you were thinking of paying. I am booked through the end of July so I'm not trying to sell you. I would recommend a SSI dive shop on Colonial (Hwy 50) called Castaway Scuba 407-658-9464. They are open 7 days a week 10am to I think 7pm. Talk to them about their next group class. I'm not sure of the prices but this type of class should run around $160 to maybe $200 and include pool work and materials.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thats great, I would definately go with you, but im hoping to get certified by the end of april. Actually, I attend Bishop Moore (downtown area) and so i'm used to the drive. I'll definately check out castaway scuba though. $399 did seem like a lot, and now I know I can do a lot better. Yet again, I can't thank you all enough for your help.

KOBY:
Wow, thats great, I would definately go with you, but im hoping to get certified by the end of april. Actually, I attend Bishop Moore (downtown area) and so i'm used to the drive. I'll definately check out castaway scuba though. $399 did seem like a lot, and now I know I can do a lot better. Yet again, I can't thank you all enough for your help.
Hey there,
I don't know if you found your certification store or not, but Castaway SCUBA offers the class for $299 and includes EVERYTHING you need to get certified w/exception of personal items, (snorkel, mask, fins, weights, weight belt, booties) as well as the 2 tank ocean dive. they don't charge extra for books or rental equipment as some of the other local stores do. I know there is a class April 21st and you'd be done by the end of April. Just letting you know what's out there. Good luck and hope to see you diving. By the way, I'm Bishop Moore Alumni-- Go Hornets!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom