Where to put your valuables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pekingcowboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never been diving before, but going to do my Open Water in a couple weeks, and then will be doing a couple weeks of diving in SE Asia.

Now, I'm just wondering, where do you store your valuables (cash, passport, airline tix, traveller's cheques, credit cards) while diving?

Do you bring them along in a sealed plastic pouch / plastic bags?

Or is there generally somewhere to store them??

Thanks,

The Peking Cowboy

When i go diving I leave them at home, or in the hotel safe when you I am away.
All you need to go diving is cash or a credit card.

Take only what you need on the boat and stuff anything that can't get wet in a drybag or drybox.

Steven

Cash
Credit Card
C-Card

Sydney is right. Everything else stays at the hotel or at home. I just got back from a 3-dayer... and I left it all at home and was in good shape.

k

Very interesting question. Most of the time, our divers keep their valuables in their hotel/resort. Some who bring their valuables, we keep them in our cabinets. The more important valuables, we can keep them in our resort's safety depost box.

That question you asked is really very interesting... it should be one of the questions people ask and consider in choosing a place to dive with.

pekingcowboy once bubbled...
Now, I'm just wondering, where do you store your valuables (cash, passport, airline tix, traveller's cheques, credit cards) while diving?

Do you bring them along in a sealed plastic pouch / plastic bags?

Hehe...

Well, after getting lunch between dives a few weeks ago, I tucked my wallet into my wetsuit for the walk back to the beach for the third dive of the day... Kinda funny how I forgot it was there till I took the wetsuit off AFTER the third dive, eh? :wink: Sad, little, soggy wallet flopped onto the ground in front of me. DOH!

At least I didn't loose it... That WOULD have been a pain in the butt.

I keep all my valuables locked up in my vehicle in a hidden place. Then I only have to carry one door key with me..on a 'biner clipped inside a pocket of my BC. No worries, nothing to get wet except a little piece of metal. I figure if they want something in there bad enough, they will get it one way or another.
Randy...

i would like to do what weight_for_me does by keeping my car key with me... my wetsuit even has a neat little pocket just for that.

BUT, my car key is one of those new-fangled ones with a chip in it that supposedly transmits a signal to the engine... it won't start w/o it. I'm thinking a key w/ a chip would not survive a dive.

anyone else have these keys... how do you lock your stuff up? i guess i could hide the key somewhere on the outside of the car, but i don't think thats quite as safe.

chris

For those shore dives, a secret I use: I went to the local AAA and got a plastic key made. It only works for opening the door (as I have one of those with a chip in the key, too), but then I have access to everything in the vehicle.

For a one-day boat trip, I just put my vehicle keys into my mask box and close it up (you know, when you get on the boat and set up your gear, then I just put the keys in the box).

When traveling, we leave all the other goodies in our hotel's safe. Once you show your cert card to the dive op once, you shouldn't have to do so again.

Margaret
counting down to Saba: 6 days until we leave [:]p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom