Motorcycles and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was curious as to how many of you combine these two hobbies.
Does anyone regularly use their motorcycle to get to their favorite dive sites? Do they use just the cycle or use a trailor for their gear? I noticed that since I've been diving I don't ride as much and am considering a trailor hitch and trailor.

I recently had the chance to sit on a motorbike while underwater. Appartenly it fell off a ferry just outside San Antonio Bay - Ibiza.

Probably not helping your survey.......

No, but interesting. What kind of bike was it?

I've had many bikes in the past..the last one was a XS7502D Yamaha triple..loaded...but the last motorcycle i was "on" was the one on the deck of the Wolfe Islander II:D Unfortunately, it wouldn't run..the engine was flooded....
Randy...

Heh...I'd love to see you try and pack all your gear onto your bike...that'd be hilarious!!

I don't think I have ever seen a scuba diver on a motorcycle on their way to a dive site. I know divers who ride, but it seems kind of hard to combine the two efforts.

Your trailer idea would have some potential though...

Seven or eight years ago, I went with my dive club on a trip to from Houston to Lake Travis, near Austin. We met at a small restaurant north of town.

A new member showed up on his motorcycle, a really old dilapidated Honda. On his back was a HUGE dive bag, containing everything but his tanks (He didn't own any, so we provided those).

We offered, then INSISTED that he put his gear in one of our trucks for the long drive west. He refused, stating that he wanted to "try it out" since he wouldn't always be traveling with us.

It was among the scariest, dumbest things I'd ever seen someone do on a motorcycle. Biking is dangerous enough, but to limit you ability to maneuver like that is just plane stupid. He was very unstable with that huge bag sticking ABOVE the top of his head.

We should have done more than insist that he ride without all that crap, but we made a bad decision to allow him to stay with us.

Nothing happened, but that was just the Lord watching out for fools......

Ricky

I agree that packing above your head is really stupid, but I think the gear could be loaded safely, combining saddle bags (low ctr of gravity) and rear seat, luggage rack. Trailor still seems to be the best idea. Doesn't seem like anyone on this board does so.

I think that I could safely carry my dive gear on my Goldwing. I wouldn't be able to carry a passenger, as I'd have to rig a mount for the tank to sit on the passenger floorboard. All the rest of my gear would fit in the attached luggage or in a bag on the passenger seat. I haven't hauled my gear on the bike, and have a nice little trailer that would carry all my dive gear and have enough room left over for my camping goods too! I've been planning on trying it next season for some trips down to the quarry with the LDS, or out to Lake Huron somewhere. The only problem that comes to mind is how to stay warm on the ride home after a dive or two???

well, been riding for years, and been diving for a while too.
I usually end up putting my equipment in my buddies truck, then riding to the dive site :wink:
I have never been able to totally combine the two hobbies successfully, basically with cold water diving, you have too much gear to fit on a bike safely, and I have tried the trailer idea, and come to the conclusion that a trailer on a bike is suicidal!
Been thinking about getting a trike though :wink:
Usually if I'm diving, I'm going with a group, and I can find somebody with a vehicle to take my stuff (I still carry it to and from the vehicle) and then I just tag along on the bike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom