Comox or Naniamo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
We're going to be heading to the island in May some time, and we're planning on either diving Comox or Naniamo. I was wondering what people's opinions are on what is better? The first obvious thing that pops to mind is the chance to see 6 gills, but that's a crap shoot at best anyways . . .

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darryl

Believe me when I say Nanaimo is way better. Yes there are occasional 6 gill sightings at Hornby Island but the wrecks and walls in Nanaimo are always there. I have been to Hornby several times and not seen a 6 gill there. I have seen them doing shore dives near Port Alberni and I hear in Thasis BC it is almost guaranteed to see one. Even while standing on the dock.

Totally agree with Dave, go to Nanaimo the diving is awesome. You got 3 wrecks to pick from, great wall diving like Snake wall. And lot of good shore dive. Oh yeah in over 650 dives in BC I've never seen a sixgill shark. You just have to be lucky I guess.

Cheers

Al

If you are planning shore dives Comox sucks, anywhere south of Parksville to Victoria has great shore diving.

Campbell River, boat diving in Discovery Passage is awesome along with Quadra Island.

Nanaimo area because of the topography is some of the best diving on the island, artificial reefs Saskatchewan and Cape Breton, Snake Island, Olerbar, Dodds Narrow etc…

Cowichan area hundreds of boat dives varying from wall, drift, pinnacles, real wrecks etc...

Victoria/Saanich Inlet boat and shore dives, artificial and real wrecks, drift diving, walls and pinnacles.

Nanaimo area's visibility is poor right now because of the herring spawn but should pick up in the next couple weeks, for the rest of the island visibility will start to diminish because of warmer weather.

When you decide where you are going on the island give me a shout I can give you an update on visibility, I dive all over the place 3 to 5 times a week and have a really good idea of what’s what and what’s happening.

Steve
Northwest Technical Diving Services

(250) 746-9465
Email: ntdserv@telus.net
Web Site: http://www3.telus.net/public/ntdserv/

I am starting to plan a trip to Naniamo which I was debating to do in Sep, or late Spring (May). I prefer "off season" so a bit cheaper (I'm hoping!) and not too busy. Cold water is not a problem, I dive the east coast and am dry.

What would the visibility typically be like at those times..?

NTDS:
Nanaimo area's visibility is poor right now because of the herring spawn but should pick up in the next couple weeks, for the rest of the island visibility will start to diminish because of warmer weather.

naiya:
I am starting to plan a trip to Naniamo which I was debating to do in Sep, or late Spring (May). I prefer "off season" so a bit cheaper (I'm hoping!) and not too busy. Cold water is not a problem, I dive the east coast and am dry.

What would the visibility typically be like at those times..?
September vis tends to be better than May vis around Nanaimo. Weather is usually calmer then too. May is often good but sometimes unsettled. There are lots of good shore dives just north of Nanaimo but you should also take advantage of our beautiful wall dives and 3 artificial reefs. The 2 large navy ships and 1 smaller deep sea tug are a must-see. I recommend these folks for the best, most comfortable charter boat anywhere http://www.divingbccanada.com/ . Do a search on Divers Choice Charters. you'll see what I mean.
Have fun. I dive Nanaimo area a couple of times a week. I could hook up with you when you are here.

Depending on how long you plan on traveling why not do both. Comox is not that far up the island

thanks!! what would the difference in vis be in May vs. Sep, in feet.. and what would the prevailing wind direction be in May..?

GDI, re: Comox - quite possible to fit in a visit..! I'm planning about a week-long trip, figuring on maybe 1-2 charters and shore dive as many sites as possible over 4-5 days. The rest is land-based tourist time.

wedivebc:
September vis tends to be better than May vis around Nanaimo. Weather is usually calmer then too. May is often good but sometimes unsettled. There are lots of good shore dives just north of Nanaimo but you should also take advantage of our beautiful wall dives and 3 artificial reefs. The 2 large navy ships and 1 smaller deep sea tug are a must-see. I recommend these folks for the best, most comfortable charter boat anywhere http://www.divingbccanada.com/ . Do a search on Divers Choice Charters. you'll see what I mean.
Have fun. I dive Nanaimo area a couple of times a week. I could hook up with you when you are here.

naiya:
thanks!! what would the difference in vis be in May vs. Sep, in feet.. and what would the prevailing wind direction be in May..?

GDI, re: Comox - quite possible to fit in a visit..! I'm planning about a week-long trip, figuring on maybe 1-2 charters and shore dive as many sites as possible over 4-5 days. The rest is land-based tourist time.
I've only been to the Nanaimo area a few times, but I have done lots of diving across the Strait in Vancouver and a bit farther south in Victoria. From what I've seen, the vis is almost always better in September. May is when the plankton blooms really get started. September is one of my vavorite months to dive. It's still bright and warm on the surface, but there is alot less river-runoff (and plankton) in the water. In the Vancouver area (really affected by run-off), vis is often around 10 feet or less in May, but in September it can be 30-60 feet (at depth).

naiya:

Vis was about 20ft yesterday it usually improves somewhat by May but depends how much sunshine we get. Sunny days = poor vis this time of year. It is usually not too bad to dive in though.
September is often better. Vis is always spotty in the summer and early fall, chances are just better in the fall. Right now is the worst time for vis and it is still pretty good.

GDI, re:Comox I was not aware of too many good dives in the Comox area. Hornby Island has produced some 6 gill sightings in the past but I think sightings are getting pretty rare these days. About 5 years ago they dropped dive teams, cameras, submersibles, chummed the waters and I think the sharks went away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom