New Apeks question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAVMED82

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I ordered new Apeks XTX regs, and they arrived at our LDS today. Because I am in the Navy and God only knows where in the world I'll be stationed next, and I'm wanting to get into technical diving, I ordered DIN regs w/ DIN to yoke converters. I figured that it would be easier to go ahead and buy a DIN reg w/ the converter because you can go that direction as opposed to a yoke reg where you are basically stuck. However, w/ the converter that thing is LONG. I mean bang me in the back of the head long. I'm wondering if I made a mistake in my thinking. Is it possible to physically convert a DIN apeks reg into a yoke one for now, and then if I start diving doubles or get stationed somewhere in the world where DIN predominates, convert them back? Or, am I going to have to deal w/ the freakishly long regulator?
Thanks,

Yes, you can purchase the fitting that would normally connect the regulator to a yoke valve. You can change this part yourself (with a little instruction if you are not mechanically inclined) from yoke to DIN and back. Or you can simply dive with the adaptor. The choices are yours. Explain your situation to the shop, I would hope that they would be able to show you how to switch the fitting between yoke and DIN, it is really pretty simple.

My personal reccomendation for your specific situation would be to keep the adaptor you have for possible future use. Purchase the fitting to convert your regulator from a native DIN fitting to a native yoke fitting, have the shop show you how to switch this back and forth. Keep all of the parts and be able to use whatever is most appropriate for the situation you are in on any given day.

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

So... i went in today and asked my LDS about changing the reg from DIN to yoke. They said it couldn't be done. What should I do now?

NAVMED82:
So... i went in today and asked my LDS about changing the reg from DIN to yoke. They said it couldn't be done. What should I do now?

They're wrong. I've got Apeks regs and they're all convertible from DIN to yoke and back. I purchased yoke regs because I knew where I could get the DIN parts. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain where in the US you can find the yoke parts. How about contacting Apeks (not Aqualung) and seeing if they can provide you with part numbers?

http://www.apeks.co.uk
mailto://info@apeks.co.uk

NAVMED82:

It absolutely CAN be done. When they disassemble the regulator for service they remove the fitting, it would simply be a question of only removing that partiuclar fitting and replacing it with the yoke fitting. It is an assembly of a couple of metal parts and a few O-rings. My suggestion is, if you can not get this solved with your local shop and there is not another local shop that carries Apeks, then give Joel at Tech Diving Limited a call or e-mail. I know that he sells this line of regulators and he is more than able to give you the information that you need. Use my name and tell him I sent you.

Mark Vlahos

NAVMED82:

Yep.... as the others said... your LDS is wrong. totally wrong.

You're doing the right thing by buying the 1st stage in DIN if you're going to get into TEC diving or going overseas. The DIN regulator is the same costs from Aqualung as the yoke. The only extra expense you've got is the DIN-to-yoke convertor, which runs aboout $32 to $79 for the Apeks brand.

Brand name isn't that inportant on the convertor as long as it's well made. Some people like the ones that have "7 threads" on the DIN screw-on instead of "5 threads". The 7 threads one is obvisousely stronger, but also offers a little more protection on your threads on your 1st stage.

If you decide to convert later, I'm not sure about APEKS, but it should be similar in price to Aqualung to convert, since they are the same company. I checked when I bought my Aqualung the cost of converting it later to DIN and the cost for parts was about $150 bucks (that might have included some labor, but I'm not sure). Seeing that to buy it new that DIN or Yoke is the same price, buying it up front in DIN and using the convertor on yoke valves is the way to go.

If your dealer doesn't know that about Apeks, then their lack of knowledge is a little scary. Especially for the amount of cash you're about to put out for two Apeks regulator sets. SInce I think you're in Memphis... my guess is that you're dealing with The Dive Shop. That might explain part of the problem. I was very un-impressed by the manager there. (Randy was his name I think...). You might want to consider a more compentant dealer if they don't now how to change out parts on a first stage...

-Mike

Have you actually tried the DIN with converter in the water on a dive? Before going all DIN, I used to use the exact same setup and had no problems with banging my head. I still use it when traveling without my own tanks.

Hi NAVMED, i know exactly what you are talking about, i thought the same thing when i put mine together for the first time (XTX 200). However, if you adjust by lowering your tank a little bit than what you are used to, you may not have a problem at all; at least that worked for me. It pushes against the top of my wing a little bit, but i've never had the wing fully inflated anyway so i haven't run into any problems.

I can see the temptation to change it to a regular yoke assembly, but IMHO, the ability to use both DIN and yoke is worth the minor hassle. Hope this helps.

NAVMED82:
Find a new LDS.
This is the type of LDS that gives them all a bad name. Not really interested in your best interest.
As mentioned it is real simple and takes 10 seconds.

To be fair to my LDS, they weren't sure if it could be done so they called their aqualung rep and they said it couldn't be done.

Back
Top Bottom