Newbie, Poor Diver or Jerk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive "class" ended up being just me and the instructor. While other people have been around, I haven't been part of a group. I'm being taught to stay close to my buddy. I hadn't really thought about being in a group situation. The lesson that I'm taking from this series of posts is that you and your buddy need to decide on how close to stay and all members of the group need to be cognizant of where each other is.

Yaknow sometimes I like to be fairly close to my buddy so we can point out things to each other. Of course this probably someone I have already been diving with for awhile.

Dave Zimmerly:
I take it you're not into ballroom dancing either.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Coke spit.

kchFLA:
My dive "class" ended up being just me and the instructor. While other people have been around, I haven't been part of a group. I'm being taught to stay close to my buddy. I hadn't really thought about being in a group situation. The lesson that I'm taking from this series of posts is that you and your buddy need to decide on how close to stay and all members of the group need to be cognizant of where each other is.

Awareness of the group would depend on the size and type of group. If its a comercial venture then of course everyone needs to be aware of everyone. In recreation I'm not going to be overly concerned with every passenger on the same boat with me, if they didn't come to the boat with me to start.

I have to plead guilty to doing just that sort of thing on my first drift dive in PDC. I kept drifting into my instructor. ( I was doing my AOW ) I finally figured out that the problem was that being much larger than he, if I was up current and close, I would "blank" him, thereby drifting faster than he did. I moved down current and that pretty much solved the problem. Also during the later dives I didn't need to be as close.
BTW, I did apologize. He wasn't perturbed at all; of course it was me that was getting kicked. :lol:

A couple of months ago, I did a night dive with NW Grateful Diver. Now, I have to give the background that I had a very bad night dive in December that spooked me badly, and I've been trying to do some simple night dives to get my confidence back.

This was also the first dive I had done with Bob since Fundies. At the end of the dive, I asked Bob, "Do you see improvement?" And he said, "Yes, there's a huge difference. Now we need to work on the details." And I asked, "What details?" And he said, "Well, for example, giving me enough room to kick . . . "

Sometimes people stick too close because they are nervous, and I've been on the other side of that one, too, with a novice diver. It's irritating but tolerable, and completely understandable.

is impressive...divers with 30, 50, 80 dives expounding at length on who's doing what incorrectly.

Imposing a 10 sq ft buffer zone is a new one on me. I like creative thinking...it's useless, but creative.

Lots to learn here.

Just curious, how are most people handling the bumping issue? I figure it can be frustrating, but nothing to get totally blown up about. Usually it's just a newer diver who's all excited about virtually everything.

I've gotten to where I just make the buddy up sign, in reverse. I just put my fingers apart 2 inches, then slowly spread them 10-12 inches and then give them a thumb and index "little bit" sign. Usually they back off and I give them the OK signal and all is cool for the rest of the dive. I have had to write on the slate "6 feet apart would be nice" at some point, but usually the hand signal once or twice does it.

later,

Web Monkey:
If you can't handle a bump, your dives are already risky. There should be no accidental action another diver can take that you can't easily recover from.

Since you're obviously "SCUBA Superman", it's time to step up to the plate and be a good buddy for those with less developed skills.

I choose to remain near my buddy in case my assistance is needed, or I need assistance. If I'm getting bumped, I take it as a sign that the other diver needs practice, reassurance or help.

Terry

oh really, so you think you can handle your buddy bumping you into some sea urchins?
guess YOU"RE the superman here.

Time to step up to the plate? read post #23. Notice it says him and I going back up for him to practice his basics. That's how I plan to be a good buddy. I'm gonna forget the sightseeing and use it as a learning session for him.

You choose to remain near your buddy to assist. You apparently feel that 10ft is too far. Think about it. 10ft from the surface or 10ft from your buddy. Neither one is far. Unless ofcourse its you who are scared and feel alone. If you can't reach your buddy who is just 10 ft away then you need some exercising or something because it only takes a second to reach him.

10ft IS near him.

cyklon_300:
is impressive...divers with 30, 50, 80 dives expounding at length on who's doing what incorrectly.

Imposing a 10 sq ft buffer zone is a new one on me. I like creative thinking...it's useless, but creative.

Lots to learn here.

its obvious that to some of you, recreational diving is a complicated sciense. That's understandable. Everyone learns at a different rate. You apparently think that it should take everyone else just as long to learn something as it took you. Surprise, some people are honor students and others, well they just graduate.

Back
Top Bottom