The Dark Side :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Why did DIR invent bp/wings? No, I don't think so. More like someone wearing bp/wings invented DIR meanwhile tons of non-DIR folks going round with the stigma because we dive BP/Wings. I have been tempted to strap on a spare air just so no one makes makes the mistake again:D
Sorry, just had to get that out...

There are a lot of us out here with a little salt and pepper in our hair. And some of us started diving backplates and wings before DIR was even thought up. I have three BP/W setup and dive with a long hose. I also use a computer and have a camera clipped off to my right D-ring. And on numerous occassions I have made solo dives. On my single tank rigs I use Scuba Pro tank straps. I like them better than the cam straps.
And I also dive with Scuba Pro Twin Jet split fins because I like them better than the hard paddle Jet fins that I had for 20 plus years.

The BP/W is an excellent setup and is extremely robust. I dive and travel with mine all the time. I get asked quite often about the long hose and explain it's use. I have also had more than one divemaster ask to use my rig during a trip.

Enjoy your new setup. It will last you a very long time. But be prepared to explain how and why you think your rig works better.

Jim Baldwin:
The BP/W is an excellent setup and is extremely robust. I dive and travel with mine all the time. I get asked quite often about the long hose and explain it's use. I have also had more than one divemaster ask to use my rig during a trip.

Enjoy your new setup. It will last you a very long time. But be prepared to explain how and why you think your rig works better.

I got my BP/W as my first BCD. I used several jacket styles in training and never liked how they fit. Keep in mind that I am a big guy and had issues finding a jacket BCD to fit me at all. First time I put the plate on I was hooked. The crotch strap is a pain on the surface but it is nice in the water. I was in Cozumel I was asked several times by fellow divers and DMs on the boat how I liked it and several other questions. I normally get nodds of aproval from other BP/W divers and excited questions of those that do not own one. Kinda like Motor Cycle riders or Jeep drivers wave to each other on the road. I have heard that you dont normally run Stainless Steel in the Cribean but it worked well for me. Also if you are looking for a STA (Single tank adapter) "The Kracken" on this board makes a great one.

lundysd,

How did you get your tank buckles on without touching the tank? Could you take a picture for us to see what you have done? My straps are setup the correct way also and they will eat through aluminum tanks like a hot knife in warm butter. The steel tanks get deep marks too... so far my two 120's just came back from hydro and booth passed yesterday. Even with the mesh tank protectors on the 80’s, the buckles eat tanks up. But I wrench down hard on my straps to the tanks till I can hardly get them to go over. I do not let them slap down on the tank. Personally, I HATE the Halcyon straps... Anyone want to trade me for some Dive Rites???

Take the good advice from Stephen Ash, and Loquat149 who know my pain. The buckles are not what they are cracked up to be. Find a set that don't do this and let us know what ya get!!

loqeat149,

Your Dive Rite buckles are digging into your tank even thought the 1/8 inch thick rubber piece?!? Then maybe you’re missing the rubber piece, or its not seating on the tank right and off the rubber?(I’ve seen that happen on my wife’s Trans pack/venture wing a few times) Not sure why yours are marking up your tanks?

-=ben

UnixSage:
The crotch strap is a pain on the surface but it is nice in the water.

Why is the crotch strap a problem?

I have Halcyon SS buckles and don't see much of a problem with disturbing the cylinder surface.

cyklon_300:
Why is the crotch strap a problem?
Just balancing and grabbing the strap between my legs to pull it through. I got it down pretty well now but on a tossing boat it can occasionally make things interesting. Not one of those things I would want to ask a buddy to do if I can help it. Just an extra step.. I would not trade it though :)

bjpell:
Take the good advice from Stephen Ash, and Loquat149 who know my pain. The buckles are not what they are cracked up to be.

Oh... don't misunderstand... I think they are great. All of my rigs except one have 'em. I have at least four different STAs and I have added the Halcyon SS buckles to all of them if they didn't come that way.

But I don't care about the marks they leave and I have no concern at all that they would cause a tank to fail hydro... that ain't gonna happen... no way.

As I said earlier, if having purdy tanks is important to you... don't use 'em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom