BCD Repair question for LA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gsulliva

Reaction score
My BCD has a tear on the shoulder fabric, local dive shop didn't have any suggestions. There is nothing structurally wrong with the BCD and the bladder is 100% perfect. I just need a repair, maybe a luggage repair place.

Anyone recommend where to get it repaired in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks in advance

gsulliva:
My BCD has a tear on the shoulder fabric, local dive shop didn't have any suggestions. There is nothing structurally wrong with the BCD and the bladder is 100% perfect. I just need a repair, maybe a luggage repair place.

Anyone recommend where to get it repaired in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks in advance

How big is the tear? There are plenty of iron-on repair fabrics around; just do it yourself.

Peter

Here is what the damage looks like. Its on the inside of the shoulder strap where the chest strap attaches.

bcd.jpg

I don't live in your area, nor do I know about BC repair, but I once had a seam on a nylon bag tear open. It was a very large tear and I considered trashing the bag. I ended up taking it to a local funiture upholstery shop and he fixed it for free in about 2 minutes. I have also used the same guys to fix a longboard bag, with a rip similar to yours, as well.

I would suggest you send your BC to the manufacturer for the repair. Check, it may be still under warranty. Your tear doesn't seem to be ordinary. They might be able to give you a 'loaner' until yours if fixed. It's worth a try.

I had a 'minor' pinhole in my BC. The manufacturer repaired it for free.

gsulliva:
Here is what the damage looks like. Its on the inside of the shoulder strap where the chest strap attaches.
That looks like a manufacturing problem: the stitching has pulled out from the binding, which should not happen.
I agree with Jan: ask the manufacturer for a repair.
Peter

It’s a Seaquest are they known for good warranty support? The BCD is 5+ years old, one of the early Balance BCD. I figure a local luggage repair would charge me next to nothing, worried Seaquest may say its not a warranty repair send us $100 for repair and shipping.

Anyone have experience with Seaquest let me know.

I would take it to a luggage repair place (shoe repair places also frequently do luggage repair), with some 2" nylon webbing. Have them stitch the webbing all the way around the shoulder strap (widthwise... let me know if I'm being unclear) and you should reinforce the heck out of that strap for perhaps $5. As long as you are wearing it over a wetsuit (and you should be in, in SoCal), I doubt it would affect the comfort in any significant manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom