Thinking about getting Mares Quattro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I got my Mares in the mail yesterday. I now see what you all mean about the straps...mine was hard to get unlatched, and felt like I had to force it.

Besides that, I can't wait to try them!

The Mares Avanti Quattro fins is, by far, the most popular fin in the world. Lots of power and control without all the hype. Buy them! You'll love 'em! I have been using them for over 10 years and have never broken a buckle. All straps do wear out and are easy to replace. If you desire a fin that has less resistance, try the Mares Volo Power fins.

Had a pair of Quattros for 6 years now...still on the original strap/buckles.

Great fins if you have powerful leg muscles.

Cheers.

-J.-

Awesome fins... but u r right about the strap... Thus, get them used on ebay and make a spring strap (that's what I did) - GREAT set up! (Search for instructions on making the straps on this board - let me just tell u - my 2 year old can do it)

BillNH:
Do the Quatrros come in a size big enough to fit over a molded sry suit boot ?

Ah there's the $100 question.

Depends on the size of your boot. The largest pocket they make is an XL, and they will fit up to a size 12 attached vulcanized boots comfortably. Beyond that, it's a bit of a squeeze. I was just complaining to Mares yesterday that one of my students with size 13 rock boots...no way those feet are getting into those fins! And there are no plans to make a bigger foot pocket either.

Best thing to do is bring your suit into a Mares store if there's one near you and check.

Grysinski:
Well, I got my Mares in the mail yesterday. I now see what you all mean about the straps...mine was hard to get unlatched, and felt like I had to force it.

Besides that, I can't wait to try them!

They'll get easier...just open and close the latches while you're watching TV. After a few dozen times, they will open much more easily.

If you really hate them, which I personally do because I can't get at 'em with my weak fingers encased in neoprene dry gloves, you can always get spring straps for them. I recently got a pair of the Innovative Scuba spring straps (EZ Pro, button style): "Heaven, I'm in Heaven...!"

You made a good choice in fins: Quattros are powerful yet very maneuvrable. You could subtly swim circles around your dive buddy and drive him nuts!

Scubagirl15,

I have a Bare D6 6 mm dry suit. I have a 10 1/2 to 11 street shoe. The molded boot on my suit is a 2XL. I just bought a pair of Aeris Velocity Duos XL/2XL and they are too narrow. What so you think ?

BillNH:
Scubagirl15,

I have a Bare D6 6 mm dry suit. I have a 10 1/2 to 11 street shoe. The molded boot on my suit is a 2XL. I just bought a pair of Aeris Velocity Duos XL/2XL and they are too narrow. What so you think ?

Only way to find out is to bring the suit into a store, Bill. I think with the Bare boots, the XL in the Mares would fit. My BF is a size 12 street shoe, and he manages to get his big old vulcanized attached boots on his drysuit to fit into the XL Mares Quattros no problem.

Good luck! :)

PS Even if you could get your feet in those split fins, you sure they'll have enough power to propel you in a dry suit?

Kim:
Out of curiosity....did anyone actually have the original quattro straps break? I ask as I also have quattros and after around 130 dives they are still OK. I actually bought back up straps when I bought the fins but haven't used them yet.

I'm sure springs will last longer but so far I don't have a problem with the original design. I don't think they 'suck' at all really - maybe that's just me!

Both my daughter and I both have had straps snap on us. The first time was before I started carrying a save-a-dive kit and I had to sit out my second dive of the day. Being the slightly anal OCD person I am, I had to have OEM Mares straps to replace them as they broke so both straps would match and say MARES on the back. For reason though there was a time where literally no one had the OEM straps available, either in store or on-line, so I ended buying a couple of full buckle and strap assemblies as back up. We went four over a four week period about a year and half after buying them. I put down the rash of breaks down to my leaving my equipment outside for extended periods and UV deteriorated the straps.

I personally liked the snap buckle when I was using them - I found them easy to use. But I have since changed over to spring straps - they're even easier to use. And my daughter gained a couple more strap and buckle back ups.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom