Mares quattro Excel OR Mares Volo Power???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian.Bergh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Im going to buy a pair of highend quality fins.

can anyone tell me the difference, pros/cons of these two fins ved compared:

Mares quattro Excel AND Mares Volo Power???

( im also thinking on a pair of Dacor Black Tiger, if anyone know about them).

Yours Sincerly
Brian Bergh

Depends on your needs.

If you're a powerful swimmer, you'll get better results with the Quattro Excels.

If you're a so-so swimmer, the Volo Power's are designed to give you good thrust with minimal effort. It's possible to do very well underwater with the Volo's even with a bicycle kick...yes, I've seen it!

The Tiger is a sister product, since Dacor is owned by Mares. Same idea as the Volo Power.

I don't have the Volo Powers, but I have the regular Volos and to be honest I think it's a little bit too flimsy for me. When, I kick with the Volos (frog or flutter) I just don't feel like I'm getting as much propulsion from my kicks as I should. I'm in the process of changing to stiffer fins. Gonna try the jets and then the quattros. Good luck.

Thanks for answers.

I always thinked that the Volo Power was a rather stiff fin. I have tried a pair of fullfoot Volo Race, and they where to soft for me, i dont know if there are any comparison there.

I dont know if im a good swimmer, i have been swimming with a pair of Dacor Black Tiger for for over an half hour with out feeling tired.

Quattro Excel are stiffer then the Volo power then?

Brian.Bergh:
Hi

Im going to buy a pair of highend quality fins.

can anyone tell me the difference, pros/cons of these two fins ved compared:

Mares quattro Excel AND Mares Volo Power???

( im also thinking on a pair of Dacor Black Tiger, if anyone know about them).

Yours Sincerly
Brian Bergh

Hello.
I am also looking at purchasing fins and I am also deciding on the Mares line of fins. I am interested to hear what other people have to say. It seem that there are a lot of people on this board that have the Mares Quattro's and there only complaint was the straps. Is there anybody who use the Mares Volo Power Fins?

I have a pair of Mares Quattros Excels and love them .... except for the hookey straps. Im going to stick a set of springs on them and the will be perfect, for me that is.

I have a pair of Quattros and love them! Just replace the fiddly plastic/rubber straps with spring straps and they work like a charm.

JimmyP:
Hello.
I am also looking at purchasing fins and I am also deciding on the Mares line of fins. I am interested to hear what other people have to say. It seem that there are a lot of people on this board that have the Mares Quattro's and there only complaint was the straps. Is there anybody who use the Mares Volo Power Fins?

I don't have the Volo Powers, but I have the regular Volos and to be honest I think it's a little bit too flimsy for me. When, I kick with the Volos (frog or flutter) I just don't feel like I'm getting as much propulsion from my kicks as I should.
The newer Volo Powers are a very different fin than the originals. Much more thrust during the kick stroke. Many people prefer The Volo Power over a split fin due to the immediate responsiveness as well as it performs great regardless of what kick style you use.

Quattro Excel are stiffer then the Volo power then?
Yes. These fins are stiffer. They can be compared to the effort of kicking our long standing popular Quattro. However they offer more power than the quattro. This is a super power fin.

If you're a powerful swimmer, you'll get better results with the Quattro Excels.

If you're a so-so swimmer, the Volo Power's are designed to give you good thrust with minimal effort. It's possible to do very well underwater with the Volo's even with a bicycle kick...yes, I've seen it!
Precisely

The Tiger is a sister product, since Dacor is owned by Mares. Same idea as the Volo Power.
This is sort of true. Both fins operate under the same technology (OPB (optimal pivoting blade)), yet the Volo Power has much better water channelling properties than the black tiger. The Black Tiger also was made with thicker durometer materials and therefore making it a stiffer fin.

I think the bottom line is, the Quattro Excel is for people that prefer a truly powerful fin and have the leg to kick it. The Volo Power is designed as a very easy swimming fin, that supports all kick strokes and still has good power. At this point it is personal preference. I prefer a strong kicking fin, as I have the legs for it.

Ever wanna see a bad swimmer swim backwards effortlessly? Saw a diver with the volos swim backwards as i was swimming forewards in a decent current. These were the full foot style if that makes any difference.

I personally have the quatros and love em. I mostly dive in still water but whenever I get out in currents whether river or ocean I still am able to control myself.

I'll be echoing what others have said before me, but since I have tried both I guess I'll toss in my 2 cents. I have Volo Powers and my friend has quattros. He swears by his Quattros and I'm in love with my Volos. One dive we decided to switch, and let me tell you it's a world of difference. I could tell that the quattros are quality fins, but they really are power fins. They're significantly stiffer and harder to kick, but you definitely get more speed out of them. My volos on the other hand are more flexible, it's easier to kick, and while you don't get as much speed, it's still very good given how easy it is to kick. Plus the volos are excellent for minor manuvering adjustments ... it gives you superb flexibility for when that sea fan appears out of nowhere in front of you on a drift dive and you have very little space to work with to manuver around it.

So if you're a power swimmer and you want great acceleration, and you're not afraid of using those leg muscles then get the Quattros. If you like fins that are easy to kick with but give you decent speed and excellent mobility go with the volos. I've "chased" things in my volos before no problem, but it's just not going to have the same power and acceleration as the quattros. This shouldn't really be a hard decision for you, you're either one type of diver or you're the other.

Btw if you get the volos, definitly get the volo power. I've heard the original volos suck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom