Trip to Australia (bring or rent)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zhe_Phil_GO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Australia for September, will be diving in Cairns. :D

I was wondering, is it worth bringing my own stuff (fins, mask, BC, regulator (yoke), computer)? Should I rent all this over there? Any idea of the rental fees?

ALL comments are welcome

Ps. My home base is in Canada... 20~24 hours of flying that's flying :)

Thank you

Zhe_Phil_GO:
Hi,

I was wondering, is it worth bringing my own stuff (fins, mask, BC, regulator (yoke), computer)? Should I rent all this over there? Any idea of the rental fees?

ALL comments are welcome

Ps. My home base is in Canada... 20~24 hours of flying that's flying :)

Thank you

I have no clue relative to the cost of renting gear in Australia.

If you take your own gear it has the following advantages:
1. You are familiar with it.
2. You know it has been well maintained.
3. You are confident in your own gear.
4. You know it fits properly.

I carry own the following items in a rolling bag that meets airline carry-on requirements
1. Regulator
2. BC
3. Dive Computer
4. Mask & Snorkel (prescription)
5. Dive certification cards
6. Airline tickets, passports etc.
7. Dive tables etc.
8. Prescription Medications (of any)
9. Drivers license, credit cards, travelers checks

The balance of the dive gear and clothing etc. goes into the checked baggage.

This system has worked for me throughout the Caribbean.
I have never been fortunate enough to get to Australia.

We took all our gear to Australia, except we rented 5 mil wetsuits because we didn't have them, and it didn't seem financially reasonable to buy them just for the trip. It was a mild hassle to take everything, mostly because a large part of our trip wasn't diving, but I'm glad we did. I really, really love my gear, and I would have been unhappy in so-so fitting rental stuff.

The place we dove, although not in Cairns, charges $80/day for full gear hire for the first dive, and $70 for each dive thereafter.

Zhe_Phil_GO:
The day boats out of Cairns will motor a pretty long way to bring you to mediocre dive sites. Consider a liveaboard. (I can recommend Mike Ball.)

BTW, that was the same advice we got (from different sources), which is why we ended up in Byron Bay instead . . . and we had an incredible trip. I can't say enough good things about Byron Bay as a dive destination, or about Sundive, the outfit with whom we dove.

I always bring my own stuff. I know my gear intimately. Weights and tanks are just fine for renting. I loved diving in Cairns. When I went to Cairns, I bought a stinger suit which really was like a loose leotard. I needed this on the dives since the water was so warm and jellyfish were everywhere. Check out the outer reefs and Port Douglas is beautiful too.

I personally would take my own gear. Why pay extra to rent it? As a rough guide, it'll cost about $50 - $60 to rent gear for a day.

Z...

TSandM:
BTW, that was the same advice we got (from different sources), which is why we ended up in Byron Bay instead . . . and we had an incredible trip. I can't say enough good things about Byron Bay as a dive destination, or about Sundive, the outfit with whom we dove.

A bit cool in Byron in September.

I'd go for Port Douglas in September myself.

As I am in Late August :)

Z..

Depends how much diving you will be doing, and what else you will be doing. Australia has a strong focus on safety of divers and their equipment is usually in great condition. All operators I have been with do a great job keeping the gear clean, and you sometimes land a great deal with some operators, even including the gear for free. Other thing to consider is having to wait for your gear to dry. In Tropical areas such as Cairns, things take a long time to dry off. Are you ok with your gear being wet for the flight?

On my last 7 day livaboard there were divers that ranged from 'only bringing their mask' to 'bringing the lot', the former having completed 2k+ dives and was diving the world, the latter 200+ dives and was spending a week off work in Cairns. It really comes down to: Confidence in rental gear (and your adaptation skills) versus carrying a lot of stuff around.
As a minimum, just a mask and snorkle should be ok. Fins would be nice unless you're ok with slide on flippers which is fine since you will most likely do boat entry dives. Dive Computers, definately bring your own if you can, you are more familiar with reading your own. Wetsuits, don't bother, not worth lugging around at all. Regulators, personal preferance, but most rental ones are really good anyway so I wouldn't bother. BCD, if you're picky about bouyancy maybe stick to what you know. Remember that in Cairns Diving is one of 2 main tourist activities, and operators to well to provide quality dive equipment, or they don't stick around long. The last time I went I took everything, the next time I'll stick to a Mask/Snorkle/Dive Computer/Camera.

Hi, I would like say thank you to all of you. Your comments were really helpful.

Have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom