Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick thought here...since this is my second post. I kept a log when I first started up to around 50 or so, then I got lazy and computer dependent. I just left them all in there thinking one day I would log them, then the battery died. It was a USD Monitor I bought over ten years ago,and they don't have a memory like the new ones do. So now, as I creep my way back into the sport and see there are a host of new classes that look like fun, I can't prove crap because I got lazy and didn't log. So in some respects, I have to build that experience and time all over again. So is logging worth it? The first thing I bought after a new computer was a pretty new logbook.

agilis:
I was reading, in another post, about "unfit divers". One of the indicators mentioned was a log book with very little content. I've been diving for more years than I have fingers and toes to count on, can carry a standard scuba tank 25 meters to the dive boat (and back again), and descend stairs backwards like Linda Blair in "The Exorcist". But I have no log book.

Typically, when I go out on a dive boat, the serious hyper-certified Diver Dans who own log books with more volumes than the complete Oxford Dictionary of the English Language somehow manage to run low on air while I still have 11 or 12 hundred pounds. But I have no log book. Should I buy one, and fill the pages with fictitious data, describing my work on North Sea oil rigs and my instrument navigation beneath polar ice caps?

As a rule, I try to avoid being "buddy" paired on a dive boat with any of these log book toting self-righteous scuba Taliban . I've seen too many of them panic when something goes wrong.

I'm with you. I don't think a diver of your experience should have to dive with those panicking logbook divers. It's about time someone started a thread about panicking logbook divers.

H2Andy, some single malt scotch is exceptional, but some others I've tried are too peaty, and surprisingly unsubtle. Try a good Irish whiskey. Black Bush is the best I've tasted.

Ramblinpaul is exactly right. I stopped logging dives about 30 years ago. I think some officious divemaster back then suggested that I show him my log, so he could "sign off" some sort of verification. I think not.

Trolls live under bridges and consume hapless villagers. I write what I honestly think, based on what my experiences have been. My occasionally ironic or antic remarks are not meant to be offensive. If I have annoyed or offended some individuals, how sad. Perhaps they should direct their pinning down and stopping instincts to some more appropriate area of activity, like mud wrestling.

USCG flyer:
Just a quick thought here...since this is my second post. I kept a log when I first started up to around 50 or so, then I got lazy and computer dependent. I just left them all in there thinking one day I would log them, then the battery died. It was a USD Monitor I bought over ten years ago,and they don't have a memory like the new ones do. So now, as I creep my way back into the sport and see there are a host of new classes that look like fun, I can't prove crap because I got lazy and didn't log. So in some respects, I have to build that experience and time all over again. So is logging worth it? The first thing I bought after a new computer was a pretty new logbook.

I have all of my training dives for my various certs logged and that's about it. I've also got dives logged on computers that have never been downloaded, but haven't found a need for any more proof of dives than what I currently have.

After about 50 dives, I too started to just put the name of the Divesite and the Date in my log, and COMP PRO in the Dive profile box (COMPUTER PROFILE).
I had several instructors tell me that is all they do, so, unless I print all my dive profiles, bottom times and air comsumption are not in my logbook
There are several people that I dive with every weekend that havent even wrote down anything in the last 20 years........5000+ dives.....

Keeping a log will allow you to recall ALL of your dive history locations - you mentioned in your profile that you can't recall of the the locations you dove.

Also, part of the fun of diving is keeping track of all your diving experiences! Keeping track of your improving air consumption, fish you've seen...

It seems to me that a logbook would be useful, especially in showing proof if you wanted to do some other certification, as without it all those dives would mean bubkus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom