Trimix for girls??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
I would help any woman in doubles. :D and I would stab my buddy to get there first!

You said it brother! (Check for a ring first...) :D

chickdiver:
I am not in any way trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm- however- please consider that you may at some point in time have to assist or rescue a dive buddy in tech gear. Are you capable of doing so? If not- don't do the dives. If you can't learn to move the heavy gear around... I doubt you would be able to rescue a 6 foot something +/- 200lb male in full tech gear. Learn to move the weight. You CAN do it.

yeah i agree, and i think what they did for me in FL was good. It made me prove to myself that i didn't need some guy to help me, i am perfectly capable to handle it myself!

TheRedHead:
I haven't asked for help yet. I am concerned about getting up the ladder during my first boat dive with doubles. My only experience has been in the pool. I feel confident about towing a heavy diver. I've done that - in fact my OW instructor weighed 275 lbs without gear and I towed him around a quarry. My TDI instructor feels confident about my diving doubles, so I guess I'm ready. Women always doubt themselves, you know. :)

I'm 5'3", 130lbs. I've been diving double 104's for years. I would suggest the following- lots of squats and lower boday work. Also lower back work. Do med weight and high reps (at least 12) sets of 3 with minimal rest. The whole point to the regimen is to know that when the time comes to board that ladder, and your tired as hell, you still have enough "juice" to do it. I have boarded plenty of boats on my knees, but I HAVE boarded them. 99% of the time we are able to hand up deco bottles and such, but occasionally conditions will not allow that luxury, and you will have to board while wearing deco bottles as well. As with most things, the first time is the hardest!

Also- consider that "towing" a diver around doesn't relate to rescue- you may have to assist in bringing an uconscious diver aboard a boat.... it's a little different.

octgal:
No one offered to help me in FL when i was cave diving, in fact i did ask for help lifting my tanks into the back of the truck and was told NO :-(

mean cave divers

I've offered to help some ladies who looked like they might need some assistance but got the "LOOK OF DEATH", so I stopped. It's funny. I help my dive buddies zip up their drysuit, lift their doubles, etc. If I'm headed for a fill with a single, I grab someone's empty tank and put it on the other shoulder, male or female. But for some reason, the women get offended if you bother to offer assistance... I don't get it.

I wouldn't get offended!!!! so if you see me at Ginnie or High springs...:D

PerroneFord:
I've offered to help some ladies who looked like they might need some assistance but got the "LOOK OF DEATH", so I stopped. It's funny. I help my dive buddies zip up their drysuit, lift their doubles, etc. If I'm headed for a fill with a single, I grab someone's empty tank and put it on the other shoulder, male or female. But for some reason, the women get offended if you bother to offer assistance... I don't get it.

TSandM:
I have to say that no matter WHAT I do in the gym, I'm not going to be able to get a 250 lb man in full tech gear out of the water. The gear will HAVE to go.

No doubt about that. But even without the gear that's a lot of dead weight to move around. The analogy was meant to provoke thought- as in "Hmmm... if I'm not confident about moving the gear, can I be confident about being able to assist rather than hinder a rescue?" Becuase, in the final analysis it isn't just YOU that has to be confident of your abilities- the people you are diving with must be confident of them as well. We (tech and cave divers) for the most part put a whole lot more trust in our diving partners than the "average OW diver". Once that level of trust and confidence is established, you'll find that your male dive partners love to brag about you. It's really kinda cute!

TheRedHead:
As a woman, I am concerned about asking for help. There is so much "if you can't carry it, you shouldn't dive it" opinion. How do the men feel about women in doubles asking for help?

I see guys helping each other on a regular basis, especially if there are allot of tanks to be shlepped in and out of the truck or trailer... 2 guys lifting doubles and walking them around. I don't see how it could be any different with guys and girls helping each other. Just be more selective of the folks you dive around, I guess! :D

chickdiver:
I would suggest the following- lots of squats and lower boday work. Also lower back work. Do med weight and high reps (at least 12) sets of 3 with minimal rest. The whole point to the regimen is to know that when the time comes to board that ladder, and your tired as hell, you still have enough "juice" to do it. I have boarded plenty of boats on my knees, but I HAVE boarded them.

Thanks, chickdiver. I'm working out. My exercise regimen has always focused on cardio and I need to lift more weights. I have been working hard on the rowing machine for lower back strength and doing squats geared up in a single AL 80. My family thinks I am crazy.

chickdiver:
No doubt about that. But even without the gear that's a lot of dead weight to move around. The analogy was meant to provoke thought- as in "Hmmm... if I'm not confident about moving the gear, can I be confident about being able to assist rather than hinder a rescue?" Becuase, in the final analysis it isn't just YOU that has to be confident of your abilities- the people you are diving with must be confident of them as well. We (tech and cave divers) for the most part put a whole lot more trust in our diving partners than the "average OW diver". Once that level of trust and confidence is established, you'll find that your male dive partners love to brag about you. It's really kinda cute!

awww really? how come no one bragged about me??? AHEM?????!!!!!!

octgal:
awww really? how come no one bragged about me??? AHEM?????!!!!!!
octgal rocks! :D

Seriously, regarding the help, you (the general you- guys and gals) have to ask for it, but if you ask, I'm more than happy to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom