Trimix for girls??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver:
I'm 5'3", 130lbs... I would suggest the following- lots of squats and lower body work.

No kidding guys, she could probably squat a good size car.

When I first got my 104's I wasent sure if I was going to be able to climb steps w/ them but knowing that there are women out there, small women, that can do it really motivated me.

EDIT: ...motiveted me to quit complaining.

WaterDawg:
No kidding guys, she could probably squat a good size car.

When I first got my 104's I wasent sure if I was going to be able to climp steps w/ them but knowing that there are women out there, small women, that can do it really motivated me.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not... ;-)

I won't ask for help. It's my position that, if I can't schlep the gear, I shouldn't be diving it.

But I'll smile very sweetly and say a nice "thank you" to anybody who offers to help . . . after I've said the obligatory, "Oh, you don't HAVE to do that!"

My dive buddy will do stuff like pick my rig up off his tailgate and bring it over to my car. He doesn't have to, and he knows it, but I don't mind letting him do it. He works on huge diesel engines for a living and a little steel tank doesn't daunt him at all :)

As a woman, I am concerned about asking for help. There is so much "if you can't carry it, you shouldn't dive it" opinion. How do the men feel about women in doubles asking for help?

Certainly there are "personalities" in the tech world that may have this attitude, but are you going to let their personality problem stop you from doing what you want to do? Besides, most guys would be more than willing to help. Getting geared up, in the water, and out of the water is a pain in the @$$ no matter who you are. I make it a point to help others in the process when they need it and I am not afraid to ask for help when I need it too. Lastly, I certainly agree with "Doiteasy" girls in doubles are a big turn on, and I would be more than glad to help (as would most guys). :wink:

Any one who does not ask for help if the gear is too heavy is crazy! I have had three hernias, one from general life, but two of them were work related and definitely related to lifting heavy things. Unfortunately I was the one helping and when the others let go unexpectedly I was left holding the bag, well not a bag, but clearly heavy enough to give me instant bilateral inguinal hernias.

I am now fixed and well healed for over two years, but heavy is heavy. Don't be stupid. I routinely manage my own double 130's for most things, but that lift to the tall place or awkward reach finds me asking for assistance, or looking for a smart way to manage the weight. My doubles live on a hand truck unless they are gettng lifted to the back of my hatchback car (low deck without a large lip). When appropriate I will ask for help balancing the tanks when I get into them on a picnic bench. I like getting help just getting my arms through the harness without tangles. The help does not always need to be on the heavy bits, but if the lift is too much for one I am the first to wait for assistance.

Bye the way, women can get hernias too, just as easy as men.

Mark Vlahos

do it easy:
Seriously, regarding the help, you (the general you- guys and gals) have to ask for it, but if you ask, I'm more than happy to help.

Oops- let me clarify. I'm not trying to be aloof, I just don't want to mess up someone's mojo if they have a system for getting geared up. If someone obviously needs help, then I'll jump in and ask. I'd also be happy to "spot" someone if they wanted to try it themselves, but not alone.

Being able to get things around by yourself is very important but at the same time if I have to move my doubles (when not wearing them of course) more than a few feet either its going on a cart or if someone is there to help then we both do it. I have had back problems and would like to avoid having more.
Work smarter not harder :)

i don't have a problem wearing the doubles, but getting them out of the fill tank or into the little suv is a real pain - the lifts from ground level. i can do it myself, but it takes me a long time and i'd rather ask for a bit of help. trimix is a distant thought at this point.

the biggest issue for me so far is steps that are too tall. i had to ask for a hand to steady myself climbing up the ledge at p2, because i didn't think i could do that without outside balance. however, i try not to overdo the <bat bat bat> 'will oo hep me wid my heavy tanks, pwease?' crap. yeah, i definitely need to work out. i have the killer thighs, they just need to be stronger so they can do what they look like they can do. i'm not looking forward to the first few ladder trips, either, but they have to happen sometime.

*and* i agree with the 'gearing up mojo wrecking' thought. i have a friend that was trying to be helpful and was just pissing me off, holding a valve steady while i was getting geared up, so that i couldn't move them around & it was harder to get them on. i had to do a mild 'hey, buster, get your paws off my gear! you're pissing me off!' <bat bat bat>.

carl, am i turning you on?? doubles, baby, doubles! <bat bat bat>

Babyduck,

Hopefully I didn't piss you off back in the winter. I'll try to be more mindful of the women's independent spirits..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom