Greenpeace None Too Happy with Mighty O Sinking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picking up something on the enviromental-whacko-meter!

GP should, as has already been stated, study the wrecks of WWII for PCB contamination. As thriving as these marine ecosystems are in these locations I think we know the effects of PCBs...and oil...and asbestos...and and and...

Having stood over the Arizona in Pearl Harbor; which was not cleaned, emptied, scraped, or inspected by greenpeace; you are able to see the live coral, sea fans, fish, sponges, all flourishing within one foot of where she has leaked oil since she was sunk. Dec. 7, 1941, in case you don't know. Life is persistent, agressive, and adaptive.
It has persisted in the face on many extinction events, some of which may have eliminated 95% of all life, without our help. Greenpeace can go p--- up a rope.

Greenpeace are a bunch of hypocrites, their old ships are full of PCB's and I am sure have made no effort to clean their house first. The Might O will prove to be a greater asset to the Gulf than whatever PCB's remain, and I am sure they are still there, but I would be willing to bet they have cleared the ship of just about everything inside, regardless of what it was

gangrel441:
To put it simply, Greenpeace and Peta are the types of organizations that scream until no one listens anymore. As a conservationist and an advocate for animal rights, I often find myself wishing that Peta or Greenpeace would just shut up so someone competent can actually try to get something good accomplished. I wish I could say it was just pure incompetence on their part, but the more I see, the more I believe they are accomplishing their own agenda. When I watch what these organizations are up to, it becomes pretty aparent to me that they are not really out to "change the world" or "help mother nature", but rather they are a bunch of arrogant children trying to do a smash and grab job for attention and headlines. In doing so, they assault the senses of the general public to the point where when I try to show someone a few simple steps they can follow to make the environment a better place, I have to overcome being looked at like some whacko hippy.

The world is an awfully large place, and in order to make the best impact, we have to learn to pick our battles. Greenpeace grabs at the ones that will put Greenpeace in the headlines and generate donations. Be careful not to confuse this with chosing the battles that will actually accomplish some good.

Well put.. there is a big differance between an environmentalist and an activist.

Without the far left and right we would not have such heathy tension.

Vayu:
It should be the commercial fishing industry that is concerned about this. Too bad the fishing industry isn't more environmentally conscious.

That's because as long as the fish doesn't look ugly or die BEFORE they sell it to you what do they care. They would be concerned only if it gave fish a 3rd eyeball or if green puss flowed from its gills or mouthparts ... simply because that might not look appetising to the PAYING consumer.

"What irks me is that the article, and some of the posters, are writing as though there are vats of liquid chemical sitting on the Oriskany, waiting for the puncture that will release a concentrated cloud of material into the sea . . . There aren't. The PCBs are in plastics. Do you know how long it takes for plastic to break down?

Think about the volume of water surrounding and inside of something the size of the Oriskany. Then think about very slow leaching of chemical out of very stable plastics. Yes, there will be some PCBs in the water. The levels may be extremely low. I'm not sure anybody KNOWS exactly how this will go. My guess is that there is some close monitoring of PCB levels in the water and the fish -- even if the Navy isn't interested in doing it, somebody will be (perhaps even Greenpeace). We may learn from this that it's actually quite safe to sink such ships, in which case it's a very attractive option for the Navy from a cost standpoint, and we may all gain a BUNCH of new wrecks to dive.

My mother used to say, "Don't kick until you're spurred." How about we reserve judgment until we see what the actual DATA are?" TSandM

TSandM......Perfectly said.

That attack against commercial fishermen wasn't fair. How are they supposed to earn a living? How are we supposed to eat exotic fishes like salmon and maybe whale in japan? Should they all go to college so they can end up with boring 9 to 5 jobs?

The oceans are not the exclusive property of divers. They belong to cargo ships, oil tankers, fishermen, resort builders, cruiships, etc. I'm tired of environmentalists saying we shouldn't drill for oil in Alaska, or allow tourism in the antartic, or cut a few trees to make a ski resort. I'm sick of words like UN Heritage Site, and global community.

I live in the USA, not the UNA.

As for being environmentally conscious, no way! That would mean exchanging my Honda Accord for public transportation, not turning on the air conditioning, not eating meat, not eating fish, wearing hemp made clothes, avoiding any kind of chemicals, not going to the doctor because treatments are often tested on animals, and not diving becuase diving boats run on gasoline and drop pollutants in the water.

God created the world for man to rule it. Not for man to be ruled by the world. Even if one doesn't believe in God, one has to believe that humans come first. I don't mind declaring a few places a protected area, setting up a few rules here and there, but never to the point of not sinking boats like the oriskany just because of fears about some chemical. Sorry for ranting, but that's how I feel.

Vayu:
Yes I am saying PCBs and other chemical pollutants are directly responsible for the spawning of mutant zombie scum. Maybe the links didn't show the floridian alligator turtle but I found this off of pensacola only one day after the oriskany went down.

original.jpg

Now as you must know not all mutants are dangerous. Mutations are the only source of new genetic material and this is integral to the natural process of evolution. However, there comes a point when zombie mutant scum will devour humanity. This is what greenpeace is trying to prevent.

I just pee'd my pants from laughing. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom