What's the most idiotic thing you've have witnessed divers doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more reason why every diver, especially beginning divers, should carry a dive slate.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
One more reason why every diver, especially beginning divers, should carry a dive slate.

I agree. I once got picked on while climbing out of the water because some schmuck saw my slate.

Him: "Takin' notes down there? *chuckle* *chuckle*"

Me: "Actually, yeah...we had a miscommunication and were able to work it out because I had a slate."

I always carry it with me...partially because it's attached to my compass, but even if it wasn't, I'd still bring it!

There are too many high and mighty divers out there.

the other diver along on the ascent seems somewhat bizarre to me. From the poster's account, the buddy did not seem to be exhibiting distress, but was intentionally ignoring signals to go to the surface.

To attempt to forcibly make someone ascend when it may not be their desire to do so (for whatever reason), could create a worse situation that just one diver being LOA.

After the numerous efforts to communicate, I think most people would have simply waved bye-bye to the chump and completed their dive. At some point, personal safety is the primary concern.

and when discreetly approached by the boat's DM, insisted that there was nothing wrong and that he was perfectly comfortable that way. Did I mention that he was using a rebreather? Everyone on the boat was wondering what else he might have failed to check...

A diver i know who happens to be full cave certified decided to buy a new tank for our New Years day dive one year. He hooked it up to an old pair of Zeagle wings with maybe 30 pounds of lift. Not unusual except the tank was a steel 190, (basically a submarine ballast tank), and was something like 35 pounds negative when full. After a fruitless discussion with him to consider a different config., he backrolled off the dock (because he could not stand up from a sitting position), and sank 10 feet to the bottom like a stone. He was now stuck to the silty bottom on his back without enough lift to get up. Imagine a june-bug on it's back, arms & legs just kinda flailing around. It would have been funny had it not taken two of us to get him out of the water.

One other thing happened to me while diving with my girlfriend in Coz years ago which i'm not sure how to describe. We are on this dive boat with about 8 other divers that we don't know. One guy from this group takes an unhealthy liking to my girl. Now she's getting nervous, and i'm politely doing everything i know of short of peeing on her leg to mark her or pounding this guy into the ground but he takes most of the boat ride to get the point or so i thought. We all suit-up and go diving. All is going well until i see this bozo swimming up to us underwater. I think whatever dude, just stay out of our way, my patients is wearing thin. He starts to swim in front of us when i see the heinous part of his plan. The guy is now smokeless, dangling the bait, okay, he is now suit-less, showing off a rather unimpressive johnson. He kept looking down to see if he was showing and then looking at us for god knows what reason. After we stopped laughing at him, i signalled him to move on & leave us alone. He didn't take me serious until i pulled my shears & started swimming after him. He left us alone on the boat ride back .... i wonder why?

gedunk once bubbled...
After a fruitless discussion with him to consider a different config., he backrolled off the dock (because he could not stand up from a sitting position), and sank 10 feet to the bottom like a stone. He was now stuck to the silty bottom on his back without enough lift to get up. Imagine a june-bug on it's back, arms & legs just kinda flailing around. It would have been funny had it not taken two of us to get him out of the water.

He starts to swim in front of us when i see the heinous part of his plan. The guy is now smokeless, dangling the bait, okay, he is now suit-less, showing off a rather unimpressive johnson. He kept looking down to see if he was showing and then looking at us for god knows what reason. After we stopped laughing at him, i signalled him to move on & leave us alone. He didn't take me serious until i pulled my shears & started swimming after him.

Gedunk, I think you win the prize. Mr. Submarine Ballast Tank was hilarious, and Mr. Wee Willy was . . . scary. You think he forgot his meds that morning?

I bought one of those cheapie Magna Doodle clones. I think it will work fine.

I wanna carry it just in case I have trouble understanding my buddy or he/her has trouble understanding me.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

I tell my wife/ dive buddy that she shouldn't wear her mask on top of her head as we swim on the surface because she could loose her very expensive mask. The next dive, I pulled my mask off, which I normally don't do untill I hit the boat or shore. While I was screwing around on the surface, I dropped my mask and donated it to the bottom of the ocean. It was not easy convincing her that it was not my fault I did not have my mask as we headed back to shore.
sharkman
:guitar:

Last summer, at a dive site in missouri, a novice diver said he used about 20 lbs. of weight to dive, but he wanted to go to 200 ft. and wanted to know how much MORE weight he would need to get down that deep! Fortunately the owner of the dive shop explained the logistics of diving, and offered to go with him, (wonder where this guy got certified!):bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom