What's Memorial Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was a little kid in addition to being called "the Memorial Day Weekend" the day itself was called "Decoration Day". My Dad, a WWII veteran took us to a cemetary and we placed small American Flags on the graves of fallen soldiers. So ...I knew from a very young age that although it was a weekend that sort of marked the beginning of summer, it was also a day to honor our military dead.

Having served myself (US Army Airborne 1969 - 1971) during that little skirmish is SE Asia I gained a close personal understanding of what Memorial Day is all about.

Just never have felt right about "celebrating" Memorial Day. For me it's a day full of silent reflection.

'Slogger

Hey foot slogger, were you with "The Herd" or "The Puking Buzzards" ???

the K

A belated Semper Fi to all past, present, and future Marines. And a job well done to all the other memembers of our armed services.

Paul W
Sgt, USMC 88-98

Thank you to all vets. Welcome Home Bros and Sisters. Semper Fi Dave

Former Corporal USMCR (89-95)
81mm Mortars (0341)
Desert Storm

I received this among several rewarding appropriate emails over the weekend. I would hope that Memorial Day could live in our hearts as long as our men and women in uniform are protecting us in our lives, along with our hot showers, warm food, and all....
The History of Memorial Day

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. There are many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day. There is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War: a hymn published in 1867, "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping" by Nella L. Sweet carried the dedication "To The Ladies of the South who are Decorating the Graves of the Confederate Dead" (Source: Duke University's Historic American Sheet Music, 1850-1920). While Waterloo, NY was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it's difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day. It is more likely that it had many separate beginnings; each of those towns and every planned or spontaneous gathering of people to honor the war dead in the 1860s tapped into the general human need to honor our dead, each contributed honorably to the growing movement that culminated in Gen Logan giving his official proclamation in 1868. It is not important who was the very first, what is important is that Memorial Day was established.

Everyone has heard "Semper Fi" - a slogan envied by non Marines so much that even some of them use it - not knowing what it really means.

Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas: Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever...United States Marines

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines. Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a secondhand opinion." Gen. William Thornson, US Army"

I have another recording of Taps I wish I could include here - with Honor Guard shots from a military funereal, but it won't attach. I remember firing those three round volleys at too many fellow Marine funerals during Viet Nam, as my unit never was called to go.

I am so glad that US troops are receiving the support and welcome-backs they so dearly deserve, rather than the atrocities experienced in the late 60s, early 70s.

:usa: USMCR, 1967-73

A great post. Thank you.

As a veteran myself I reflect on the sacrifices made by our military on a daily basis. My reaction to "Happy Memorial Day", and the droves of Americans running out to celebrate the extra time off is this:

The people who are going to enjoy themselves are exercising their rights which were and will be defended by the sacrifices we are memorializing. If you could bring back a loved one, or talked to a disabled veteran and asked them if they were provided the power to enable any one family with a full day to celebrate life as an American would they choose the family to get out and enjoy themselves in celebration, or ask them to pay tribute to the fallen? My guess is that by celebrating the tribute would be "understood". So, to see Americans getting out and spending money supporting our economy and hopefully doing something for or with their family to me is a great way of saying thank you to those who have given so much for this country...

Your thoughts?

Sasquatch:
The big back-lit reader board over a department store in my town was headlined with "HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!" below which were a few specials for the weekend; sleeping bags, coolers and what not. I parked and went in but for some reason I couldn't shake that image of the billboard. I had other things on my mind but soon it hit me. The sentiment was badly misplaced and I was sure it was a result of ignorance on the part of whomever decided to use those words. I could have, and would have, let it go if it hadn't been for C.J. Williams.

I hadn't thought about him in years, Arnold Holland and Lieutenant Paul Duncan, too. Their names and faces just popped into my mind. This was a holiday created for them. One day out of the year when our normal routines are altered so that we can take a moment to remember men that died serving their country. Does everyone know this? I wonder.What I do know is that Memorial Day is to thank and remember all those like Williams, Holland and Duncan who served with me in the Marine Corps until they couldn't serve anymore.

I was lucky and nearly joined them but after 63 days in the hospital I lived to marry and have a family, friends and a career. They didn't. I get to SCUBA dive on a regular basis, and for all of the things and people I've known and loved I remember the sacrifices made by people like these. I'm grateful and I miss them.

Though I was expecting an ordeal after stating my case about the tone of the Memorial Day greeting the store manager heard me out and agreed it was an honest mistake further promising to have it changed. The next morning I drove by and it had been changed to read, "Remember Those Who Sacrificed Everything for Freedom".

To all of you, have a wonderful holiday and remember those that did their duty to the end.

To Arnold, Charles and Paul…Semper Fi.

I wouldn't mind this thread popping to the top every now and then all throughout the year. The soldiers are out there every day and we should remember them every day.
When my sons were on the deserts of Iraq, I would not wait until Memorial Day to remember them. Thankfully, they both have returned home safely, but the memories of war are there now. Some of their buddies, I had met some of them, were not so fortunate. Some of my classmates went to Viet Nam, voluntarily by the way, even though there was a draft. They could have taken a vacation to Canada but didn't. Most of them returned home but none were the same after that. I remember Donnie, who didn't make it back!

Thanks to all who have stood where I could not and continue to do so today. I salute you and lift you to my God everyday!

Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom