Name your best or favorite wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hoki Maru in Truk Lagoon. I loved seeing all the trucks down in the hold. Second place would be the San Francisco Maru in Truk Lagoon.

My favourites are:

Ghiannis D - I love this wreck. I loved everything about it. At the stern, near the sea floor, there's a place where you can get in - Fabulous!

Madeirense - great wreck in the blue waters of Porto Santo (Portugal).
U-1277 - a German U-boat sunk during WWII near Porto (north of Portugal).

1. Hydro Atlantic
Lat 26 19.500 Lon 80 03.043 On December 7, 1987, a ship of huge proportions sank in a storm just one mile east of the Boca Raton Inlet. The ship was being towed to Brownsville, Texas where it was to be salvaged. Instead it sank on our door step and was discovered one month later by Captain David Turbeville. Today the Hydro Atlantic is considered to be one of the 10 best dives in the United States. Lying in 172 feet of water, the 320 foot long freighter is a real ship wreck, not a diver prepared, artificial reef wreck. A huge crane stands mid ship, with one of the ship's main anchors at its base. The winch is still on the bow and the engine is still in the engine room. This is a real wreck! Her deck is still crowded with equipment. Pipes that traverses the old hull from one pump to another. Cranes and giant winches still laden with cables.

Barely recognizable, they are all covered with a thick blanket of coral, sponge and soft corals, like those in the picture above. Thousand of tropical fish dart in and out of every pipe and porthole seeking shelter from predators, while barracuda and shark lurk in the distant shadows. Rope, cable and fishing line cover almost every inch of the wreck. Years of strong currents, the effects of saltwater erosion and the immense growth of corals have all taken their toll on the ship's structure.

superstructure of Hydro that rises up to depth of 98 feet. Some walls of the superstructure have collapsed and the hull has started to crush under the weight of its deck and machinery providing new access to inner passages. As a true wreck, equipment intact, with such of abundance of growth and so many opportunity for penetration, the Hydro Atlantics is one the best wrecks in Florida and is a must for the serious wreck diver.
HYDRO_ATLANTICdez.jpg

Tour the deck at 145 feet and enjoy the forest of soft coral that decorates the wreck. Perch on the bow with clouds of bait fish. Dive the Hydro Atlantic once and you will leave wanting to return again and again. This is one of best wreck dive in the country. Hydro Atlantic Blue Print.

• Type: Down Line Drift
  • Depth range: 145-175 ft.
  • Skill level: Deep Air (Tech)
  • The Hydro is a spectacular dive, it is a shame it's not in shallower water. As you approach the wreck it almost looks alive there is so much growth on the outer hull. The swim throughs are encrusted with soft corals. Schools of fish form a circle around you as you pass through. Large schools of jacks swarm the wreck. The bow is home to a Moorish Idol not indigenous to this are
  • Type: Down Line Drift
  • Depth range: 145-175 ft.
  • Skill level: Deep Air (Tech)
  • The Hydro is a spectacular dive, it is a shame it's not in shallower water. As you approach the wreck it almost looks alive there is so much growth on the outer hull. The swim throughs are encrusted with soft corals. Schools of fish form a circle around you as you pass through. Large schools of jacks swarm the wreck. The bow is home to a Moorish Idol not indigenous to this area
LOWRANCE
Lat 26 13.202 Lon 80 03.640 A 420-foot Freighter was sank in 210 feet of water on March,31 1984. It was sank as an artificial reef, most of its superstructure has been dismantled or cut away. Fished hard for many years, thousands of yards of monofilament cover almost every inch of the wreckage. Extreme caution and a good set of cuttig tools are a requirement for this dive. Renamed several times, her last name before becoming an artificial reef was the Mason.
Lowrancereef.jpg

The Gulf Stream currents continuously flush this wreck , where even at this depth a lot of sea life is present. It is 420 feet long and 55 feet wide and over five stories tall, it makes a very good dive for advanced technical diver. Features to enjoy while diving the wreck are the vast cargo holds with interesting contents and the outside passage ways on the main deck. The deck is laced with mono filament line and can be a significant hazard. Enjoy the dive but be careful.
LOWRANCE-DEZ.jpg

So far, I like the Prins Willem V out of Milwaukee. Moderate depth, great visibility, and everything is intact. The swim between the two forward cargo holds is the most amazing experience I've ever had.

I'll be up in the Straits over Memorial Day, so hopefully I'll have a new favorite by then.

Tom

The Dredger Munson in Lake Ontario Kingston.... every time i see it it is different and beautiful...and I dive it at least once a week in the summer.....definitely a favourite!!!!
KEY STATS:
Ship Type: Dredge
Lifespan: Built ????, Sunk 1890
Length: 250ft
Depths: 115ft

My experience is limited to the US. I'll admit my frailty up front, I dive single tanks with a 19 cu/ft pony. In Key Largo, I've dived the Duane 17 times and love the stairways between decks and the incredible coverage of all surfaces. I've dived the Spiegel Grove 18 times, 13 upright. The swim throughs on the main deck with communication to the well deck are incredible. In San Diego, my 8dives on the Yukon have been particularuly memomorable though my single dive on the Hogan was my most memorble, especially due to the Wolf Eels. My 5 dives on the Sea Tiger in Oahu were incredible, the engine room is fantastic.

Good diving, Craig

San Francisco Maru - Truk Lagoon @ 160 - 180 Feet (Deck)

Ok - had to add this one - Robert Gaskin, Ontario Canada. Great Wreck. It has deteriorated quite a bit in the last year or so, however, it is a wooden wreck that has been sitting upright on the bottom of the St. Lawrence Seaway since the 1890's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom