Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdmbike to scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey,guy ? what would you do. My girlfriend and I are going to the BVI's in Oct and plan to dive for about 10 days. Would it be better to buy tanks and take them on the plane or just rent them. I hope to do many two tank dives. I know we have to take the tank apart to get on the plane or ship it. We will be with a group that is renting a boat to sail. Any advise would be great...Mark

Find a shop that will rent them to you when you are down there. It will probably cost less than the excess baggage fees the airlines would charge you to get your tanks down there (nevermind the vis and fills).

mdmbike to scuba:
Would it be better to buy tanks and take them on the plane or just rent them. I hope to do many two tank dives.
Rent when you get there. If you want to use two tanks on a dive and aren't sure you'll be able to find doubles, then you can either bring a config for independent twins or you can just sling the second bottle. Heck, for less than five pounds of checked baggage weight, you can do both.

Boat dives usually include the cost of tanks and weights in places like BVI. Don't worry about tanks.

A group of us are just back from there(April). Spent a week on Virgin Gorda. We dove with Dive BVI. They have just the thing for you, it's called Rendezvous diving. When you're in their area you call them on the VHF and they bring tanks out to you. Anywhere in the BVI's since they have 3-4 diveshop locations. And they are one of, if not the best, most helpful, friendly diveops I've ever dove with.
http://www.divebvi.com/rendezvous.htm

PM VGDiver(Jeff) here. He runs their operations. I'm gone tomorrow on the Nekton but will be back after the 24th. Or join AZScuba here and come to one of our meetings and we'll tell you about it in person.

Did you figure the cost of filling of your personal cyliners if you took your own? Airlines will not let you transport filled cylinders. Jsut get with a dive shop and enjoy your vacation, dont sweat the small pennies.

On trips that require flying, you're better off renting tanks. Many airlines will scoff at dive tanks as they can not confirm the contents of them as well as some may require the removal of the valve to show an empty tank will not explode at 35K+ ft in altitude.

If the $$ make sense, you might consider buying them there and bringing them home, then you just have to pay excess baggage and vis once.

Most dive operations include rental tanks and weights in the price. Bringing your own tanks is not worth the headaches with TSA.

mdmbike to scuba:
Hey,guy ? what would you do. My girlfriend and I are going to the BVI's in Oct and plan to dive for about 10 days. Would it be better to buy tanks and take them on the plane or just rent them. I hope to do many two tank dives. I know we have to take the tank apart to get on the plane or ship it. We will be with a group that is renting a boat to sail. Any advise would be great...Mark

No question - rent them, but make sure you're using a reputable dive center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom