Crown of Thorns starfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The discussion of COT seemed off point to the knife thread where it started (yes, it was I) so I thought I'd do some googling and see what else I could find on these little boogers.

From http://www.reef.crc.org.au/publications/explore/feat45.html#t5-2
CRC Reef Research Centre - Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.

I didn't want to post the entire page here for reasons of space but clearly cutting them up is not the preferred method in light of the increased possibility of envenomation which can be pretty nasty. But according to this page if you cut them up enough they don't die but don't apparently regenerate either. Poisoning or removal are the best methods.

"Cutting Up
Cutting starfish into a number of pieces was one of the first methods tried, however its use was stopped because of concerns that the pieces would regenerate creating an even bigger problem. Some starfish (like the blue starfish Linckia) do regenerate entire bodies from substantial pieces but the survival of A. planci after having been cut into separate quarters in the field appears to be very low. Tests of the effectiveness of this method were conducted by GBRMPA staff. When starfish were cut into quarters or their central disk was removed, most of the pieces were still alive after 2 weeks. We don't know if these remains would have regenerated but it seems unlikely.

The biggest problem with this method is that the starfish have to be extracted from the coral to be treated. This will usually damage the corals as the starfish can be entwined securely around branching forms. The risk of a diver being spiked is quite high (see section on First Aid). Because poisons are not involved the method has the advantage of being environmentally 'friendly' (as long as coral is not damaged in extracting the starfish) and special equipment is not needed.

Trials conducted by GBRMPA showed that this method is 10 times slower than injecting poison and the diver doing the cutting up was spiked 3 times during the treatment of 20 starfish."

I googled that and a couple of other research documents about the CoT after reading about it in the knife thread too. That article just confused me more because if the cut up pieces were still alive, they still could have regenerated. What made the researchers conclude that they wouldn't? I mean, if you cut me up into pieces and all the pieces were still alive after 2 weeks, one would be more likely to assume that nature had endowed me with a way for every body part to independently stay alive. In a strict darwinian approach to the meaning of life, the only purpose for living is to reproduce, so what would be the point of each part surviving if it could not regrow in order to reproduce?

I believe the Discovery Channel did a special on them about a month ago with great footage of divers removing them. I seem to remember also as you posted it had something to do with the Great Barrier Reef. Maybe go the DC's website and look it up there.

Quite honestly, I find that the damage coral would receive due to the removal of the CoT is FAR preferrable to leaving the starfish there. We lost a lot of coral last year to COTs and there are areas that go on as far as you can see (100+ ft viz), just fields of dead coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom