What does Type 2 Hit refer to, A form of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
A type 2 hit refers to getting bubbles lodged on the arterial side of the cardiovascular system. This means the bubbles can be lodged in the brain or spine.

When you ascend to quickly, bubbles try to get back to the heart on the veinous side of the system. They are too large to pass through certain spaces so they get lodged in the joints and other places. When you recompress some of these bubbles (by descending), they become small enough to pass through the system, and get pumped to the arterial side. If you ascend after these bubbles have been recompressed, you risk lodging them in the brain or spine causing paralysis or death. These bubbles take perhaps 2 minutes to move fully through the system so if you just pop down and back up again, you could be in for a rather bad day.

At least this is how it's been explained to me, and what I've found from reading different reference material. Perhaps a phsyio, or docter will care to expound or correct me.

This is nonsense. A diver would have to descent to 8 ata's for the bubbles to compress and become half the diameter of original size. And DCS has nothing to do with the arterial side. If air or gas is on the arterial side, then it's AGE.

Fortunately, I don't think I've ever taken a hit. But I am VERY particular about sleeping well before diving, I don't drink when I dive, I hydrate the 2 days prior to a dive, and immediately afterwards, and I try not to be in a hurry gettting to the surface.

I often dive on Sundays, and when I get back home, I play my evening 2 hour soccer matches. I feel great!

I think it's way too simplistic to say that, if you are tired after a dive, you are hit. Especially for new divers, there is a lot of STRESS involved in diving -- trying to remember to monitor your gas, keep track of your buddy, and manage your own sometimes elusive buoyancy. Not to mention hauling gear around, and that stuff is HEAVY! There were a lot of dives when I started where I was dead beat at the end, despite staying shallow and having respectable ascents. I really don't think those were hits. I've done much worst things since without the same fatigue, but I'm far more relaxed underwater now than I was then.

I believe there is some thought about central nervous system symptoms being related to bubbles in the arterial circulation. It is certainly more plausible to have significant neurologic deficits as a result of arterial emboli. Cardiopulmonary symptoms, however, can easily be produced by bubbles on the venous side. So it's probably an overstatement to say Type I is venous and Type II is arterial. Maybe Dr. Deco or Doc Vikingo will weigh in here with more experience and information.

This thread has been a wealth of misinformation except of course for TSand M....
Now it's friday night and Im gonna hope I have alleged type one tomorrow so I don't have to hang anymore sheetrock.

Wildcard:
This thread has been a wealth of misinformation except of course for TSand M....
Now it's friday night and Im gonna hope I have alleged type one tomorrow so I don't have to hang anymore sheetrock.

I just got done spraying texture on the ceiling rock I hung and taped over the past 2 months. I know I have alleged type one but I have to go to my bachelor's party tomorrow.

TSandM,

Did you ever see the JAMA artical about CAT scans, I thought it was, but maybe some other diagnostics, about brain tissue of divers resembling some histology found in Organic Brain Syndrome?...microbubble effects...morphological changes, or something like that? I may have some of this wrong..it has been awhile. I did see the article and scimmed it...I had just had my first baby and did not have time to read it.

Going home and sleeping after a dive is not an indication of bends. Many people sleep after physical/mental activity, hmmm, think about that a minute.

Whether you just completed a 10k run, or an aerobic workout or your a pilot and feel like sleeping after an intense flight it is normal. Many activities such as flying, motorcycling and including diving while not always terribly physical (though diving can be) nevertheless require intensive concentration. Have you not ever been tired after taking a long test that required a lot of mental activity? These things are fatiguing.

If your sleepy after a dive, if this is normal for you after similar activity then that alone is not something to worry over. I have been diving an awfully long time and know many divers are mildly tired after a day of diving including me. Now, if you couple fatigue that appears abnormal for you or the level of effort you think you have experienced and then think there may be other indications--then perhaps worry.

Cold makes me tired, water, even warm water sucks heat out of your body rapidly, this I imagine is the main cause of my mild--normal--fatigue after a dive and I imagine this contributes to the reason many divers are feeling like a nap after they get off the boat.

Don't ignore the possibilities but don't worry so much either.

My opinion, surfacing from a fairly deep dive to look for an errant buddy, call that dive and get your surface interval. There are lot's of opinions on bounce diving, I have done a lot of it, especially way back. I would recommend avoiding bounce diving.
N

Dont jump to extremes. All I'm saying is that there is a beginning. Where is that is that for you? You know your body...cool. I wouldnt even begin to mix it up with some here whose opinions I strongly disagree with.

This is a forum. Not a proving ground.

Proof, Bite reg and dive.

catherine96821:
TSandM,

Did you ever see the JAMA artical about CAT scans, I thought it was, but maybe some other diagnostics, about brain tissue of divers resembling some histology found in Organic Brain Syndrome?...microbubble effects...morphological changes, or something like that? I may have some of this wrong..it has been awhile. I did see the article and scimmed it...I had just had my first baby and did not have time to read it.
I think I saw that, way long ago. It was talking about Navy divers not rec divers. Besides, they joined the Navy so Im sure some OBS was present to start with:wink:
The truth of the matter is we still know little about DCS and long term effects of diving, deep diving and DCS hits.
Just play it safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom