Long-Lost World War II Sub Found, Navy Believes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacksambellamy

Contributor
Reaction score
HONOLULU (June 17) - For 60 years, Nancy Kenney wondered what happened to her father.

The submarine that William T. Mabin was in disappeared while he and his crewmates were on a mission to attack a Japanese convoy in the last months of World War II.

Now, the Navy says a wreck found at the bottom of the Gulf of Thailand appears to be the sub, the USS Lagarto.

"I have never in my life, unequivocally, felt such a high," said Kenney, who was 2 years old when her father and the submarine did not return from their mission in May 1945.

"We can just feel a sense of relief and a sense of peace in knowing what happened and where they are," said Kenney, of Lake LeeLanau, Mich.

Navy divers on Friday completed a six-day survey of the wreckage site. They took photos and video of the 311-foot, 9-inch submarine for further analysis by naval archeologists.

The divers found twin 5-inch gun mounts on the forward and rear parts of the ship - a feature believed to be unique to the Lagarto.

They also saw the word "Manitowoc" displayed on the submarine's propeller, providing a connection to the Manitowoc, Wis., shipyard that built the Lagarto in the 1940s.

Eighty-six sailors died when the Lagarto sank in May 1945. The Japanese minelayer Hatsutaka reported dropping depth charges and sinking a U.S. sub in the area, though it was never known what ship it destroyed.

The Navy sent its divers to examine the ship to provide the sailors' families with some answers after a British professional shipwreck diver last year found what looked like the Lagarto, said Lt. Cmdr. Jeff Davis, a spokesman for the U.S. Pacific Fleet Submarine Force.

"It was important to bring a sense of closure to these families and it was important to do it in a way that would honor our fellow submariners," Davis said.

The Navy wouldn't do anything with the ship even if it conclusively determined it was the Lagarto, considering the sea to be a proper final resting place for "our people who are killed in action," he said.

The wreckage site over 100 miles off the eastern coast of Thailand is also likely to go undisturbed.

U.S. laws and international agreements already protect sunken U.S. warships from looters or others who would disturb the site, Davis said.

Since Kenney was just a toddler when her father went to war, she has no conscious memories of their life in LaGrange, Ill. But she said news of the Navy's dive "was the most important piece" of a puzzle about her father that she's been trying to put together for six decades.

The children of the Lagarto sailors feel closer to their fathers now more than ever, she said.

"We feel like we've found our fathers," Kenney said.

06/17/06 07:24 EDT

Its ok for the secretssuirrel divers to film the bones on German Soldiers nobody says anything. What would happen if they did the same to the USS Lagarto. How come Americans dont have the same respect for foreign soldiers?

see their site for video
http://secretsquirreldivers.com/

I agree with the sentiment that there seems to be somewhat of a double standard with regards to 'respecting' a sunken submarine. I think the German sailors, despite the evil regime they fought for, also deserve respect. In my opinion, simply diving a sub that was sunk in battle is not necessarily disrespectful. However, if you think of these subs as war graves, perhaps penetrating them is disrespectful. That seems to be where, personally, I draw the line. I'd certainly be interested in hearing others opinions on this.

-Shaun

sspadafo:
I agree with the sentiment that there seems to be somewhat of a double standard with regards to 'respecting' a sunken submarine. I think the German sailors, despite the evil regime they fought for, also deserve respect. In my opinion, simply diving a sub that was sunk in battle is not necessarily disrespectful. However, if you think of these subs as war graves, perhaps penetrating them is disrespectful. That seems to be where, personally, I draw the line. I'd certainly be interested in hearing others opinions on this.

-Shaun

I'm with you, Shaun. if the Lagarto was a German sub we'd be treating her the same, the WW2 Submarine Veterans and Lagarto family members have supported us , even encouraged us to search for the Lagarto initially - they trust us and any diver we invite to dive the submarine to behave correctly.

for news on this subject visit www.techthailand.com , news section.

Jamie macleod,MV Trident

Back
Top Bottom