Let me be the first to say......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
HAPPY SUMMER:D
Wednesday is summer solstace !!!!! Yaaa, summer!!!!!!!!!
So get out and dive.
No diving plans for me but a party on Yukon island with some fishing, some drinking and some sauna,ing is almost as good.
What are your dive plans for the longest day of the year?

You know....you're right. That mean's we're at the closest point in the year to the sun, right? And today, we'll have tons of daylight...the longest day of the year. Let me translate for everyone = FREAKIN' HOT here in ALABAMA! The thermom in my car yesterday said 106 when I got in and cooled down to a chilly 100. Wow. :mostlysun :sunny :chillin6: :fire:

(Pick your fav summer solstice smiley!)

bennedc:
That mean's we're at the closest point in the year to the sun, right?
That is a common misconception. Summer solstice is the point at which the earth's axis is tilted most towards the sun. We are actually closest to the sun during the winter (for northern hemisphere readers). The difference between summer and winter is determined by how much atmosphere the sun's rays have to travel through in order to reach the surface.

This year the earth was closest to the sun (called Perihelion) on January 4. It will be farthest away from the sun (called Aphelion) on July 3.

Back
Top Bottom