How to explain new purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Get her (him) to dive, the best of both worlds

2. Enumerate the expenditures of her (his) leisure time interests.

3. Play the safety card.

With today's gasoline prices extra cylinders to make the most of a trip to the LDS are a no brainer.

Pete

It took me 10 years of assdragging to go get certified with my wife – I was ready all along but didn’t want to do it without her….for the same reason you are mentioning. So I need to agree with the others, make her a diver addict and ur all set. I also set an agreement with my wife – we dive on the same equipment and we replace things together. Our first trip to buy equipment ran around $7,000 (including my DC500 – but we only bought one of those). Now in wife language its MUCH easier to accept 7K on the two of us than say 3.5K on just me !!!!! Hell, if it were just me and I went budget style it would STILL be too much at say 1.7K on just me !!! The moral is to get your spouse just as addicted to diving as you……

Heres what i do. Each week i have so much to spend on what i want , i save part of it towards what i want. Then when i know she is going to work late or i get out early i go to the shop, buy what i want get home put it in the gear closet and mums the word. No questions or arguements. Or if i buy online i have it sent to work. It is a little easier to buy if she knows as she is a diver also. I dont hide everything but it sure is funny when we go diving and she says when did you get that, and i say i've had it all along. Although it was kind of hard to hide my 23 foot boat that i bought.

Years ago it used to be alot harder. But now my wife just rolls her eyes, sighs and walks away. Of course she gets her own toys when she wants them so it does go both ways. I just need to tell her I need X so I can accomplish goal Y and Z. This is a harder sell when I aquire vintage equipment like double hose regulators, but she knows I use them and that helps keep me out of her hair. Ha. I guess it helps if you have a good relationship to start with.

Jim

Just sneak it in the house and put in in the pile with the rest of the stuff no one will notice. :D

Hmmmm...let's see....start a "mad money" fund that basically has you "sink" the odd $20. in your wallet every time you go to the MAC machine...(works for BIG purchases)

Buy now, take the consequences later...but at least you have the gear! (she's mad for a small tme, but the clincher is make sure you USE it at least once so she can't make you take it back)

I get the "Honey, what's this $35.00 from Scubatoys on the credit card bill"? whenever she's going through the mail...

AZ Desert Diver:
So here is the dilemma...How do you explain to a non-diving spouse the reason that you keep making new dive equipment purchases? Especially when the your equipment you are replacing is still working fine. I've had to do this a lot lately with purchasing a new Vytec DS, a gear bag, slate, a sausage and a few other things as well. Help, I'm running out of reasons to buy new stuff. So, I would like to hear what reasons you have given to a non-diving spouse when buying new equipment.

BTW, the "safety concerns" reason is running on its last leg. :D

"Dear, you know my good friend John has had a difficult time at home since his wife discovered that he has a girlfriend. I've been trying to help him by explaining the benefits of scuba diving. I have pointed out that diving is probably a much safer and healthier endeavor than being a hound dawg even though it can be expensive ........."

I wish you good luck with this explanation. I purchased this version from Acme Excuses Inc. Yours truly, Wylie E. Coyote

AZ Desert Diver:
So here is the dilemma...How do you explain to a non-diving spouse the reason that you keep making new dive equipment purchases? Especially when the your equipment you are replacing is still working fine. I've had to do this a lot lately with purchasing a new Vytec DS, a gear bag, slate, a sausage and a few other things as well. Help, I'm running out of reasons to buy new stuff. So, I would like to hear what reasons you have given to a non-diving spouse when buying new equipment.

BTW, the "safety concerns" reason is running on its last leg. :D

"Look honey, I saved $xx by getting this item in the sales. It was $xx+yy. I saved us $yy that we can put towards getting a new zzzzz."

That's normally my wife's tack when it comes to items for her/hobbies! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom