First night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobster75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just thought I'd post my first experience doing a night dive tonight. My local dive shop offers up weekly Wednesday night dives during the summer months, so I thought I'd use the opportunity to try out a night dive and see what its like as I realized that I really love diving and want to try as many diverse ways of diving as possible.

We made a shore entry around 8:30pm (beautiful calm sunset!) following the contour of the rocky ledge until one of us (geee.. guess who? me!) hit our turn-around pressure. Being a new diver, I knew I'd have the most issues with buoyancy and task loading, but I thought it wouldn't be too bad as I've been pretty OK during my daytime dives.

The first half of the dive, I was all over the place buoyancy-wise because I was just slightly tense with the dark conditions (pitch black unless I was aiming my flashlight or could see other tank lights and flashlights) and I had a bit of apprehension about floating around when I couldn't see the bottom. It's interesting the stuff you start thinking about while in a new situation underwater and trying to make sure you are keeping up with all needed tasks.. I kept thinking about the posts I've read on here about divers who lose it when task loading and how all any diving situation needs to get ugly is a little bit of panic instead of thinking through things.

My primary light died just as we were starting the deeper part of the dive.. I later saw it somehow flooded but I had checked that the cover was on tightly before we started the dive.. So.. hopefully a Xenon light for a UK C8 isn't too expensive... No problem.. Just went for my backup light (part of the same beginner UK SunLight kit) which worked fabulously but I had clipped it to the left side of my BC and found it awkward to use for checking my SPG and dive computer.

I also had a bit of mask leakage throughout but that was a non-issue as it didn't phase me at all, just cleared the mask as needed.

The bottom line on this for me was: I like night diving, but its a bit more of a challenge. I'm glad that I feel comfortable underwater and that mask issues no longer bug me as night diving throws its own set of issues that might seem overwhelming if a diver wasn't generally comfortable underwater w/ the scuba gear on.

I want to practice more in the future with task loading as having a slightly leaky mask, bad primary light, medium buoyancy issues, slight tension to new environment, awkward backup light mobility, SPG checking, and following my buddy and the group were taxing my abilities to their current maximums. With all this going on, I didn't spend as much time enjoying the sights as I'd have liked, but we saw some local fish, bunches of starfish and sea urchins and crabs and a couple lobsters (including a lobster pot placed from shore sans lobsters).

When we surfaced at the end, I was really surprised to see we were under 45 minutes with a max dept of 32ft as it felt a lot shorter and shallower while I was staying on top of my tasks.

Couple things:

1) why didn't you call the dive when your primary light failed?

2) contact UK - from what I have heard they are good about replacing broken stuff for free. Especially if this was your first dive with it.

3) enjoy night diving - I think it is way more fun than diving during the day! Keep it up and you'll be just as comfortable during a night dive as you are during the day. Look into a night diver specialty or AOW course - it's always good to expand your knowledge!

Mobster75,

UK is great about light replacement. They don't have the fastest turn-around, but they'll usually take care of it for free for you.

As for night diving, you'll get more comfortable with each dive. Once you've relaxed, your bouyancy will get a lot better.

J.

minnesota01r6:
1) why didn't you call the dive when your primary light failed?

personally, i wouldn't have called the dive. i would have gone to secondary
and continued on, as he did.

if the secondary failed, i would then go to my buddy and borrow his secondary.

if that failed and we were down to one light, then i'd thumb the dive

Hopefully your next night dive will be more enjoyable. My favorite dive was a night dive in Cozumel, most definetly the most surreal experience of them all.

H2Andy:
personally, i wouldn't have called the dive. i would have gone to secondary
and continued on, as he did.

if the secondary failed, i would then go to my buddy and borrow his secondary.

if that failed and we were down to one light, then i'd thumb the dive

On my first night dive ever, I was prepared to call the dive if I wasn't 100% about anything. After you get more experience you can always reevaluate your approach and be less conservative, but with mask & bouyancy issues, feeling tense...having a light fail would have been the last straw for me.

yeah, i'm talking about my first night dive ever

that was the plan we discussed (buddy and I)

mobster75:
Just thought I'd post my first experience doing a night dive tonight....The bottom line on this for me was: I like night diving, but its a bit more of a challenge.
Congrats on a successful and safe first night dive! After my first couple of night dives, night diving quickly became my favorite kind of diving. Like other posters in this thread, you may grow to love it more than daytime diving. On one of my first night dives in our local lake/quarry, each diver in our little group of 5 or 6 spontaneously turned off their dive lights during our safety stop. It was a moonless night and the water was inky black. The only thing I could see was a faint bluish glow when someone turned on their computer's back light. For a fleeting instant, it seemed a little eerie to be hanging there on the ascent line in nearly total darkness, with just the feel of the dark water on your body and only the vague sense of other divers closeby. But the moment quickly passed, replaced by the feeling that the lake and the darkness were a comfortable warm blanket to snuggle up in. The solitude and peace of that experience was an extraordinary diving moment. IMHO, I've found night diving to be generally peaceful and introspective (unless you're on a 2kt current night dive in West Palm Beach, FL; then its a speeding night train ride. Whoa! What a rush!:D ).

my first and only night dive so far.

cozumel, strong current. for a while, i was alone in total darkness, then saw some faint lights somewhere far away, and somehow got back with buddy. apparently he was looking at some fishes. it was surreal. no idea where i was going, and even if i knew, with the strong current, i couldn't do anything anyways.

it was an eye opening experience. had a talk with buddy afterwards, pretty much saying "they call it buddy dive for a reason, dude."

it was fun though. during the safety stop, a whole bunch of small shrimps or whatever they were gathered all around our light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom