info on Cressi equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking to buy the Cressi Ellipse Titanium Regulator, but before I do I wanted to check with all of you to see if there are any pro's or con's about this reg.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks

You might want to post in the regulators subforum, or better yet do a search (click the link in my sig). I found a ton of info just by typing "Cressi Ellipse Titanium" into the search engine. I have read that titanium regs are not good for nitrox, although don't quote me on that.

minnesota01r6:
I have read that titanium regs are not good for nitrox, although don't quote me on that.

The manufacturers will claim that to CYA themselves, but titanium regs are fine to use with normal recreational diving nitrox mixes like 32% or 36%. I dive my Mares Ti Planet with nitrox without any problems.

The reason that they don't recommend titanium regs with nitrox is because this particular metal can catch fire when it comes in contact with extremely high pressure oxygen, however you would have to have a much higher percentage of oxygen for this to be a threat. Suffice to say, as long as you don't hook your regulator up to a bottle of pure oxygen, you're fine.

My biggest concern would be getting it serviced. There are not many Cressi dealers in my area. Otherwise, Cressi has been making gear for years and I'm sure it will serve you well.

bnajdrovsky:
...can catch fire when it comes in contact with extremely high pressure oxygen, however you would have to have a much higher percentage of oxygen for this to be a threat.

Guess that means you should be sure to buy and use an O2 checker if your using that Titanium reg with Nitrox. Either that or become a circus fire breather. :wink:

I've got two of them and love them. Great breathing regs.

RikRaeder:
Guess that means you should be sure to buy and use an O2 checker if your using that Titanium reg with Nitrox. Either that or become a circus fire breather. :wink:

Well, considering that you should never dive nitrox without first checking the oxygen content of your tank, that step was implied. Everywhere I dove nitrox, I was required to sign a log sheet, and fill in the exact O2 content along with max depth to prove that I measured the gas mix. It's a pretty standard procedure. As far needing to buy an analyzer, some people prefer to have their own, however any dive operator which offers nitrox will also have an analyzer available for the customers, so I'd qualify this to be one piece of scuba gear which is entirely optional. :)

I'm not nitrox certified, but if there were ANY chance that my reg might burst into flame while I"m sucking on it, I think I'd buy my own analyzer.

LOL, I understand what you mean. I guess that's all I was trying to say.... there really is NOT a chance that your regulator would burst into flames if you just do what is taught in every nitrox class, and analyze each bottle, either with you own or the shop's O2 analyzer. Well, that and follow some common sense. Just don't hook that bad boy up to a pure O2 bottle. Then you may get some nice, but expensive fireworks. :)

Anyway, we're starting to hijack this thread here, so back to Cressi regulators we go...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom