quick dumb question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrjoshw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After joining this forum and finding out that there is a lot to dive in North Carolina I begin to research it on the internet. I've found a lot of great wrecks to dive. I'm starting to save my money and making plans. Here's the dumb question. I see that the wrecks are anywhere from 35ft - 130ft. I only have my Open Water cert and was told that with that certification I can't go below 60ft. Is that true if I'm on a charter out to one of the wrecks? Do I need to take Advanced Open Water or a Wreck diving class before I go to one of those deep wrecks?

Told you it was a dumb question....

Thanks

Some of the shops will let you dive the deep wrecks with OW cert if you can show you have significant experience. Still, it would be better to go ahead and get your AOW and Nitrox certs before you attempt the deep wrecks that most of the dive shops go to on the full day trips. If you haven't done any dives deeper than 60 feet yet, a trip to the Papoose or Normannia isn't necessarily the best way to start.

For shallower wrecks, the most common trip is the half day to Indra (from Morehead City / Beaufort) or the Liberty Ship (from Wilmington). Those wrecks are suitable for getting started in NC wreck diving.

For more info about NC diving, http://www.ncdivers.com/ is a great place to look. We have a great group, and we're always happy to welcome new divers.

And NO, it wasn't a dumb question. :)

Frank

_

Welcome to the board. Not much to add to Frank's post but to invite you to join the NC divers at some of the quarry dives. It's a really good way to improve your skills with some good divers. I am quessing you don't have many after cert dives. It would be a really good idea to get in some practice dives in the quarry before heading off shore.

Yes NC diving is not your typical diving, flat seas are the exception not the rule and 2-3' is a good day. I seldom get sick but take Bonine as a precaution anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I've gotten a few dives in these past two weeks while I was back home in Oklahoma but I've yet to be in the ocean. I have a total of 16 dives in my book. So, would ya'll say I need more dives (experience) before doing the AOW and Nitrox course like Frank mentioned earlier?

You don't say where in NC you are but we are always at the quarries practicing something, trying out new gear, or just diving. You're welcome to join us at anytime.

Hmm, I somehow lost the first part of my post above. I suggested going ahead and working toward your Nitrox and AOW. Also, start with the inshore, shallower wrecks like Frank suggested until you get comfortable diving in the ocean with its variable conditions.

Thanks again. I went and signed up for the AOW and Nitrox classes today. I'm in the Jacksonville area of NC. If ya'll are doing any dives around this area let me know, I'd be more than happy to come out.

We have a few people that live down in your neck of the woods. If you ever get a craving to jump in a quarry, Fantasy Lake is the closest one to you. That's the one that those of us in the Raleigh area usually go to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom