divers north of the border

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
what do you guysand gals do during the winter when you cant dive because of the cold but are dying like me to get back in the water..sure would like to hear from some of you on this one

Vancouver gets like three days of snow a year. With El Nino this year we are seriously warm (68 degrees). This weekend the water was two degrees warmer than it's been in two months (50 degrees vs 48). There is hardly any snow in the mountains here either. The ski resorts are just about to hit panic mode as the huge holiday season is about to begin. (As an editorial aside...they are bidding on the 2010 Winter Olympics here right now...someone forgot that Vancouver is not a "winter" city. It'll look great on TV to see all the athletes getting soaking wet in the rain on the podiums)

So...to answer your question...West coast keeps diving. I'm sure the other side of the Rockies has some good answers too.:wink:

O.K., I do not have first hand knowledge of this practice but it makes a great story (told to me by someone I trust).

Calgary
Winter Ice Diving
Three holes in ice, triangle shape.
Divers into water with tennis ball and hockey sticks.
Inflate drysuit and move air into feet...float upwards until feet touch ice.
Game On!
Try to get the ball into one of the three holes. The ultimate Canadian Divers winter passtime - underwater, inverted ice hockey!

:D

Pool......oh yea the pool again....Log on to Scubaboard.....Have a beer (or 2 or 3 or 8) Think about the trip to Roatan......Oh yea the pool thing again......and then some more beer

No Ice diving yet. Some shops have been talking about it (maybe they have gone and done it, but I'm guessing that it hasn't been cold enough yet.) Ice on lake, but how thick?????

bwerb once bubbled...
Canadian Divers winter passtime - underwater, inverted ice hockey!

This can't be real but if it is I want in as long as I don't have to play nets. Kind of like road hockey but you don't have to watch for cars.

bwerb once bubbled...
Calgary
Winter Ice Diving
Three holes in ice, triangle shape.
Divers into water with tennis ball and hockey sticks.
Inflate drysuit and move air into feet...float upwards until feet touch ice.
Game On!
Try to get the ball into one of the three holes. The ultimate Canadian Divers winter passtime - underwater, inverted ice hockey!
:D [/B]
What a concept! Diving hasn't stopped in Ont.; however, the hockey that I've seen is on ice, sitting in the bleachers. Sure would be interesting though. Anyone actually done this as part of an ice dive course? I would imagine that floor checking and high sticking would be frowned upon...

Folks, it's clear to me that if you live in the North East and you want to continue to have the pleasure of diving you have several choices...........
1) go on weekly cruises, if you can afford it!
2) Build or rent an indood pool and satisfy your cravings like a junkie....
3) Resigne yourself to the fact that seasons are a reality and winter is here for the next 6 months, seek counciling!
4) Save your pennys and invest in a dry suit and dry gloves. Buy some reasonable undies and stop all this lamenting about the cold!
Granted dry suits are expensive. However you can get into one as reasonably as a premium wet suit these days. Probably not at the LDS, although that is where I would go first. Only because I'm a custom suit kinda guy and I can't get the propper fit any other way, I pay more.........They got me. I have said many times, " once you go dry, you'll never go back ".

two investments:

1. dry suit

2. chain saw for cutting holes in the ice :wink:

defentily upside down ice hockey !

and the fact that i dive for sea urchins with is all winter the manditory is a drysuit with small hot pads attached to the under garmets .
water temp here at 60 ft is 40 dec F 42 at the surface and air temp is 29 deg F .

often wondered about using the hand warmer pads to heat the drysuit, do they work?

They say on the package that they are air powered?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom