Diver Signaling Equipment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If nothing else works, Uncle Pug reccomends
using the Warhammer Maneuver to attract
attention.

yup i use the cd thang too
and i carry a dive aleart and also a large Orange garbage bag witch can be inflated with the octo to make a very large siloute on the surface and they are cheep tooif ya loose one oh well they are also great for picking up GARBAGE and holding wet dive gearsometimes a 4 ft garbage bag is better than a 2 inch accross sausage hummm also use my fin to signal. i also have some reflective tape on my masknext to my nose piece . and also on my 1st stage screw knobit is red in color and can be bought at the local hardware store , it also lets other divers know when they are shinging there lights in your eyes cuz it glows red .just a couple things i do :)

reefraff [b:
Mirror[/b] Essentially a daylight strobe. Includes the CD-ROM. I've not heard of doubling them up and don't know why that would help, but they're supposed to be fairly effective, durable and lightweight replacements for the old chromed steel. I'll drag it along in roughish water or if there's going to be a current that might put some distance between me and the boat in a hurry.

Steven

They are glued back-to-back so that they can be aimed.

Signal mirrors either have a glass bead or wire mesh center which creates a bright aiming spot or you must line up the light spot with the center hole on the back surface. It's hard to describe, you should really practice it in you front yard.

(There's another method which involved spotting over a tree branch or post, but that won't work floating in the ocean.)

All useful signal mirrors have an aiming hole AND a mechanism for you to see a spot to assist in aiming. Some cheap ones just have a clear hole and no aiming mechanism.

A mirror that can't be aimed is useless other than for shaving or putting on makeup.

One main UKD8R torch
One smaller SL6 torch
One shoulder mounted strobe
1 x storm whistle
2 x delayed surface marker buoys

Thats my standard open water kit out i take for every dive and in addition to the SOLAS and light strips on my hood, drysuit and BC.

reefraff:
Dye packet: Consistently rated as the most effective device by SAR teams. A real PITA when the packet breaks in your luggage.
Steven, I was going to start a new thread and ask about surface marker dye but I see this old thread's been revived.

So, do you know of a dye packet that can stand being taken to, oh, say a hundred feet, as sold? I've been trying the types of capsules we use when blue-water sailing. They're usually a mess after a dive, too much air in the containers. I was hoping to avoid manually repacking the dye into smaller, more dive-worthy containers.

Thanks,
Bryan

ResQme! New product Launch, Best bet so far for me.
Cant be missed if your looking the other way.
Your choices are: Waterproof Capsule or Mesh Bag
Color balloon Yellow or Orange

Package of 2 spare balloons is $8.00

Waterproof Capsule avoids having to rinse the device after diving and protects the balloon.

Mesh Bag can be placed in BC pocket or it has a hook to clip on BC, but device has to be rinsed after diving. Bag does not offer the protection of the balloon that the capsule does.

The balloons are very tough and will last a long time and withstand many inflations. They are, however balloons, and you can‚t let the cat play with them.

If you would like one please email me:) I know the make, inventor, manufacture personally

:eyebrow:

DiverBuoy:
In the November 2002 issue of Dive Training magazine they have an ad for Pro Sub's Air-3 Air Control Device. Like Air-2 devices the idea is an all-in-one. In this case an LPI with a regulator (octo) and a horn. And rumor has it they have solved the above/below water issue of other air horns.

You see for years mfgs have been bragging that their devices can be used above and below water - but in fact the designs were mechanically directed for EITHER above or below but not both. This single function could not be stretched for both purposes. The above water unit would make almost no sound u/w. The devices created for u/w would sound like a muffled sick duck above water and have limited range in which they can be heard. Taken out of their element - they don't sound anything like the ones designed for that element.

This new Air-3 all-in-one device includes a "dual" air horn - that covers both environments.

I however, cannot find the item on their website, but the magazine gives 830-257-0022 as a contact number in the magazine.

Rodales tested and rated this otherwise interesting idea as a pretty poor breather within recreational depths...

one reason for exoxying back to back is the reflective side of CD's is actually the top (ever scrape off the top and you'll see) so if you glue them back to back, you cannot scrape off the reflective part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom