Disabled Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil TK

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw an article in my local paper about a couple of guys who have started running Discover Scuba type sessions for groups of local disabled people and so I've rung the paper and offered my help as assist for their next session.
Has anyone on the board done anything like this before?, what were your experiences?
I'm specially interested to learn of any swiming techniques that a diver might use who has lost the use of a pair of limbs and how equipment may be adapted for various disibilities.
Obviously the guys who run this thing have some ideas and knowledge but I'm sure this board has lots more out there.
I wanted to do a little groundwork before I went along and so any advice would be appreciated.

Phil TK

im in the middle of teaching a young lad with scolioses (curveiture of the spine) his spine is the shape of a question mark he also has clubed hands

weve only had three pool sesions but hes learning fast he cant swim which we thought was going to be a problem but give the boy fins and hes off

because of his spine he cant wear a stab jacket with tank on his back so weve got an old ablj and a pony rig which is straped accross his chest which works fine.

if he goes on to take the sport up seriously hell have to wear side slungs

not much more i can say at the moment as i said weve only had three pool sesions but ill keep you informed how it goes

ive got a phone number of a lady who alters diving kit for people with special needs if you want it ?

There is an organization (sorry don't remember the name) who specializes in training divers with disabilities. They have special training for instructors.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
There is an organization (sorry don't remember the name) who specializes in training divers with disabilities. They have special training for instructors.

There are several choices for handicapped divers. Two certifying agencies are HSA (Handicapped Scuab Association) and the IAHD (International Associtaion of Handicapped Divers)Check this out for a listing of webistes to help your search.

glad to see that people are taking it seriously KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ! you give others hope and pride !
thanks

Hi Phil:

I started taking my OW lessons back in late August/early September.

I have a rare hereditary spinal muscular disorder and have very limited strength in my extremeties coupled with small hands and feet, and short arms and legs. I look a tad bit disportionite.

Anyway, I went looking for lessons and found an instructor who is HSA (Handicapped Scuba Association) trained.

I've had seven pool sessions to date, I'd have eight but I've got bronchitus (sp?) at the moment and can't dive.

My instructor and two assistants have taught me the same techniques as those used by non-disabled divers, but have gone on to teach me adaptive techniques as well.

I'm learning about equipment mods that will make diving safer and easier for me. One such mod is large grips on LP hose connectors to make connecting and disconnecting my BCD inflator hose easier.

Learning what to do with a stuck bcd inflator when I can't remove the LP hose.

I've had to learn to be proficient at all the water entry techniques except the giant stride. I've been given more emphasis on donning the scuba kit in the water though since that does not require that I bear it's weight. From day one, I've learned to remove the scuba kit on the surface after a dive rather than exit the water first.

Though I am able to swim and kick, I'm not very fast, so I'm learning to use a DPV in order for me to be able to more easily keep up with my dive buddy and be able to dive where there's a current that would be difficult for me to handle, even though it would be no problem for an able bodied diver.

Non of my training has been done in water shallow enough to stand in. I've had to learn from the start to become relient on my equipment, my training, and my buddy.

My instructor is having some folks from HSA come to his dive shop to train the entire staff of instructors on how to work with disabled students. When I found out about this I volunteered to be a disabled student.

My instructor has since contacted HSA and they said it would be fine and my instructor thanked me at my pool session for volunteering to be a victim.

HSA training is a wonderful opportunity for the dive instructors at the LDS. If I knew any disabled people in my area who were seriously considering taking up scuba I'd call them and see if they'd volunteer as well.

I didn't know how restrictive my environment was until the first time I donned gear and got in the pool.

My instructor has since contacted HSA and they said it would be fine and my instructor thanked me at my pool session for volunteering to be a victim.

VICTIM? Are you sure your instructor doesn't have a life insurance policy you don't know about? :scared:
Ber :bunny: :poking:

A group of us here in Ottawa will start getting trained on the proper techniques to use for divers with disabilities.

One instructor has already started and has warned us (mostly DMs) that we're in for a bit of a surprise.

If and when this get's started, I'll let you know how I do.

Come to think of it, I did sign a paper that had something to do with power of attorney.

Actually my instructor is impressed about how calm I am doing drills that can be scary and thinks I'll be a great training subject.

My instructor said that one of the drills they did when he got his HSA training was that he had his arms tied at his sides and his ankles tied together. He then had a blacked out mask put on him and in the water he went with a dive buddy. He had no control at all and his dive buddy had to monitor him the entire dive. My instructor was the victim in this case and they took turns being the victim. The idea was to show instructors what it's like to have to depend on your buddy with your life and to show them how important proper procedures were when diving with or training a disabled diver.

I'm lucky. I can fend for myself if I need to. My disability is very prevent on the surface. I won't get to do any shore dives that don't include a boad ramp for that running start. :) I have to have help in donning and doffing my exposure suit and fins and need help removing the BCD from the tank. Though I am able to attach the tank just fine by guiding the BCD over the tank with both hands while holding it by it's carry strap in my teeth.

I should have asked my instructor what other disabilities they'll give me for the training.

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...

VICTIM? Are you sure your instructor doesn't have a life insurance policy you don't know about? :scared:
Ber :bunny: :poking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom