Exposure protection for Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Heading to Maui for a fun weekend, 2-3 dives and just a generally fun weekend. Anyways was wondering what type of exposure protection I would need, was thinking just a 3mm top would be fine, not planning on going deep, just to see some fishies is about all.Thanks

Steve

3 mm will keep you comfortably warm. I'd do the full suit to help avoid abrasions and jellyfish stings. Summertime brings in the warmer water which also brings up the man-o-wars once in a while. We had a bunch of them around here about two weeks ago. A lot of swimmers were stung, some really got it bad. Stop by and say hello if you see my SCUBABUS at the beach!

I've done three trips to Maui in a 3 mil, with and without a 2 mil hooded vest. In August, I didn't need the vest at all; in February, it was nice for the deeper dives, and in June, I didn't use it, but the deeper dives were cool. On the other hand, I did 91 minutes of shallow without the vest and I was comfortable. And I HATE being cold, and get cold easily.

For 2-3 dives in the summer, you can go with anything from a t-shirt to a full suit of various thicknesses. I'd go with a full suit for exactly what Doug said, protection from the critters and abrasions.

aaen:
Heading to Maui for a fun weekend, 2-3 dives and just a generally fun weekend. Anyways was wondering what type of exposure protection I would need, was thinking just a 3mm top would be fine, not planning on going deep, just to see some fishies is about all.Thanks

Steve

My wife and I just got back from a trip to Maui. She wore her normal full 5mil and I wore a full 3mil. She gets cold easy and at about 35 minutes into our first dive, she started getting cold. Since I keep hearing there is no thermocline in Hawaii, I guess depth isn't important - but our max depth was 83ft. We were there for only 10 minutes and then spent some time at 60ft and the rest at 40ft.

I don't get cold near as easily as she does and I did start noticing the water feeling a little cold from time to time. But not enough for me to really care.

Maybe our blood has just thinned out, since we live in Miami and are used to warm water and air. : )

BTW, the water is couple of degrees warmer here in Miami than when we were in Maui.

--Mike

I wear a 2 mil shorty but I'm used to diving in 50 degree water year round. I think it has a lot to do with what you are used to. Some of the staff over there wear 5mil full suits.

I have to disagree with you folks: Maui is not as warm as you'd think, and the boats I was on all issued 5mm shorties (w/full arms). I personally wore a full 5/4 suit for my trip, since I made 10 dives in 6 days (w/night dive), and I was able to stay relatively comfortable the whole week. You will probably get pretty cold at 100ft in a 3mm....

Last summer the water was 79 degrees and I had a 3mil full. I didn't get cold until day 7 of 8 and only on the 2nd dive. I knew I'd need a 5mil full for our liveaboard in Belize last December, so immediately purchased one. Because we take "dive vacations" and do as much repetitive diving as we can, I wear my 5mil full in water colder than 80-82 degrees. It's much easier to cool down than warm up.

That said, if I were diving only 2 or 3 dives total I'd probably save the weight and take my 3mil full for summer diving on Maui.

I'm glad I spotted this thread, as I am headed for Maui tomorrow (Thursday). Aaen, or anybody else in the area, maybe I'll meet up with you. If you want, PM me, and we'll plan a dive together. I'll be in Maui (visiting my niece, who does not dive) until the 12th.

Cheers,
Doug :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom