• Bare Trilam HD Tech

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Dive Rite 905

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • DUI CLX 450

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverryan

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the market to buy a new drysuit and I have narrowed it down to the DUI CLX 450, Dive Rite 905, or the Bare Trilam HD Tech. What are the pros/cons for each of these? Thanks

All three are great suits as you know. I would go with the one that fits the best. I know that sounds like silly advice, but really all three are that good. I might also choose at this point based on price. If one was way more than another, I might choose the cheaper one because I don't believe any one of these to be that much better than the other. Maybe customer service is another consideration. How easy will it be to fix the suit if that need comes up in the future? Good luck and have fun!

If I had to choose, I would choose the DUI but only because that is what I have and has nothing to do with the quality of the other two.

I will start off by saying that I dive the DUI CLX450. I looked at the other suits and there were a few things I noticed that might be of interest.

The Diverite suit has the zipper across the back, which is harder to get in and out of as opposed to the diagonal front zipper of the CLX450 and the Bare. I do know people who can get out of it on their own, but it is more difficult for "most" people. One counter arguement to front zippers is that the front zippers are longer and thus have more chance of a portion of the zipper going bad.

Another issue is the wrist and neck seals. DUI offers the Zipseals, which I have found to be very useful. There is nothing worse than getting ready to dive and then tearing a seal, especially on a liveaboard. You can replace the seals in a matter of minutes and are ready to dive. However, others would argue that this is a potential failure point as there are no redundancies. If the seal fails, the suit will flood. I have yet to actually hear of this happening to someone, but there is a potential there.

The diverite has attached booties as oppossed to the socks on the Bare and CLX450. I personally dont like attached booties, because of the floaty feet effect. There are ways to counter this with gaiters, but you will still get more air trapped in them than the others. Two advantages to having detached booties is that you can change them as needed and they can be laced tight to prevent too much air from getting trapped.

The CLX450 is also equipped with the warm neck collar. This allows you to tuck a regular hood bib under the cordura overlay on top of the latex seal. I have found that this keeps my neck quite warm on <40f dives.

The ability to give as you move provides better comfort. The CLX450 uses the telescoping torso and the Bare uses the Automatic Torso Recoil. This is a great feature for added comfort, because it allows for a greater range of movement when bending down and a more tailored fit.

However, there is also a marked difference in price among these suits. The Diverite and Bare can be found for around $1300, the CLX450 starts at around $1800 and that is without accessories like pockets, which the diverite comes with by default.

Good Luck!!! It's a great investment.

Very good discussion of the CLX450. DUI also has ZipGloves, dry gloves using the ZipSeal system and is also getting ready to come out with new dry gloves made from compressed neoprene. I saw the prototype at DUI Demo Days and these look awesome. Very tough and still allowing dexterity.

I dive with the 905. I don't have anything negative to say about it. So if you decide to buy it you will get a good suit.

I own both the DUI and DiveRite so I have had a fair opportunity to compare.
For the money and quality I'd vote for the DiveRite. I have found the DiveRite suit to be more puncture resistant,the boots are a better quality-in fact I bought a pair a DiveRite boots and installed them on my DUI,and DiveRite has excellent customer service. I have a friend that bought one of the first DiveRite suits and it gets a lot of diving,and keeps going strong. I have used the Bare twice,but I couldn't give you a good comparison since I have limited experience in it.

PS Have you ever considered a Brooks drysuit? I bought one last November,and like it a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom