Maui, BP/Wings, and oh so many ?s from DM's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divrnr

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from Maui diving my FredT heavy SS BP and STA set up and Whoa did I get tons of questions. I think I converted 4-5 divers and a DM. Let the DM dive my setup and he loved it.
And Uncle Pug you'll be proud I didn't use my computer once!! All tables doing multi level diving and 3-4 dives per day. Tough at first getting Brain version 1.0 going, but not hard once the lightbulb clicked...
The setup worked great in the Lanai Cathedrals and the caverns under Tiger Woods home at Turtle Town, only had to use 2 lbs with a 3 mil 1 piece! Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY needs to dive a BP/Wing, you've got to trust me on this one. I saw others with the tank moving around on them and always fidgeting with things, their trim off so bad one guy would always float feet first! And that was wearing a shorty! It makes the diver and tank act and feel as one, it makes you feel more natural doing an unnatural act, our passion, diving.
Mahalo for all the advise I've gotten on this board. Hey, the BP/Wing guys aren't just DIR freaks, they are right, there is no turning back, BP/Wings all the way, Joe.

divrnr once bubbled...
And Uncle Pug you'll be proud I didn't use my computer once!! All tables doing multi level diving and 3-4 dives per day. Tough at first getting Brain version 1.0 going, but not hard once the lightbulb clicked.
Joe... what kind of dives did you do: depth, duration, profile.

divrnr once bubbled...
Hey, the BP/Wing guys aren't just DIR freaks, they are right, there is no turning back, BP/Wings all the way, Joe.

Resistance is Futile!!

At least I'm not a freak anymore...:)

Hi UP, let's see
Day 1 32% nitrox dive 1 Makena Landing 33' for 59" SI 42" Dive 2 35' for 54" SI 75" Dive 3 32' for 49" all shallow shore dives with the family.
Day 2 boat dives-dive 1-Lanai Pinnacle 114' to 95 to 80 to 63 for 43" SI 42" dive 2-2nd Catherdals71' to 59' to 68' to 51 for 40" SI 4H34" dive 3 Molokini night dive 73' to 61' to 49' for 51" SI 34" dive 4 Naked Marty's Reef 61' for 36" all on air since they didn't have 32% ready
Day 3 air dive 1-Molokini 68' to 55' to 43' for 52" SI 55" dive 2 Turtle Town/5 graves 34' for 64" SI 2h27" La Perouse Bay shore dive 3-41' for 55" SI 64" dive 3-38' for 48"
Day 4 OFF
Day 5 Duplicate of Day 2(not exact but very close)
Day 6 like day 1
Day 7 OFF had to take the kids to Hana...
Kept all slates and tables in my thigh pocket and just jotted notes as I was diving since my trim and bouancy were spot on. It seemed like everybody else if they stopped either sank or tilted or started going up! And I was in the advanced diver group! I just need to remember the NDC's so I can calc it out faster without looking it up. Can't wait to do a DIR-F class I'm going to PM MHK for the next one in my area...

divrnr once bubbled...
only had to use 2 lbs with a 3 mil 1 piece!
Sounds like you had a good trip. But diving with only 2lbs ditchable weight is not recommended. If your wing fails while you have a full tank it's not going to be much fun treading water or swimming on the surface with that rig on your back. With a 3mm wetsuit an aluminum backplate is a safer option.

-Nick

Back
Top Bottom