Melbourne in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I may be in Melbourne in October. How is the diving there? Conditions, viz, the water temp that time of year and etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Don

Don Janni,

Used to live in Melbourne (great city!!), but I never dived there, so I can't help out with personal information on temps and viz.

People not from Melbourne all think it's brrrhh!! cold diving there, but the locals love it and they reckon everyone else is missing out on some great diving and anyone who complains is a wimp anyway, so who gives a ... care?

If you're going to beautiful Melbourne and you're ready to jump in the water (I would, but only with a thick wetsuit) then check out http://www.diveoz.com.au and navigate through "Info Directories".. and then "Victoria" to check out the local dive sites. (Sorry but the diveoz.com.au web nazis won't let you navigate there directly.)

Good luck, and bear in mind that no diver has been eaten by sharks in Melbourne for hundreds of years. Yes it's Australia, but Melbourne is safe from big nasty beasties with sharp teeth.

discrepancy:
Don Janni,

Used to live in Melbourne (great city!!), but I never dived there, so I can't help out with personal information on temps and viz.

People not from Melbourne all think it's brrrhh!! cold diving there, but the locals love it and they reckon everyone else is missing out on some great diving and anyone who complains is a wimp anyway, so who gives a ... care?

If you're going to beautiful Melbourne and you're ready to jump in the water (I would, but only with a thick wetsuit) then check out http://www.diveoz.com.au and navigate through "Info Directories".. and then "Victoria" to check out the local dive sites. (Sorry but the diveoz.com.au web nazis won't let you navigate there directly.)

Good luck, and bear in mind that no diver has been eaten by sharks in Melbourne for hundreds of years. Yes it's Australia, but Melbourne is safe from big nasty beasties with sharp teeth.

I'll check out the web site. Doesn't sound like a 5mm is going to be enough but well see. Thanks...........

Dived around Melbourne for a couple of years in 1980's when I lived there.

diveoz website is a good place to find operators - or you can do a search on google. Portsea, Sorrento and Queenscliff are the starting poiont for a lot of charters.

Conditions are variable and relatively hard to predict throughout the year. October is 7 mm wetsuit or drysuit temperature for just about everyone. Surface temperature in northern part of Bass Strait near Melbourne is now just over 13 C - would probably be a bit cooler in October.

Can be windy and vis depends on weather/rain runoff. Also, a lot of the diving in Port Philip Bay is in tidal areas so you dive on slack or do drift dives. The temperature, current and surface conditions (and if you are unlucky, the vis) can be very challenging for anyone who is not experienced with such conditions.

Some nice dives however. Lonsdale Wall/the Rip are my favourites, best at depths greater than 30m with really nice deep reef and invertebrate communities. Dive operators may want you to have pony bottle or doubles and greater than OW cert to do some of these dives. Also some nice wrecks and reef dives. Popes Eye is a nice easy dive a lot of the time. Just my opinion, but I think that this part of Australai is probably the sort of place to dive if you are in the area for something else (as you are doing). If the weather is good you can get some nice dives, if bad give it a miss. Conditions not predictible or good enough to plan a major trip just to dive there in my opinion, although I have had some spectacular dives near Melbourne in the southern part of Port Philip Bay and around its entrance. Tasmania to the south and New South Wales to the north have more predictable conditions and also offer excellent diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom