Honeymoon location help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jumpergirl:
Hello,

I've done some searches and done ALOT of reading here but we still can't make a decision. We're getting married on October 7th and plan to leave DFW on the 9th for our honeymoon. We are newley certified and want to go diving on our honeymoon (which was our motivation for getting certified in the first place). I've looked at Bonair and it looks GREAT. I'd even say it's at the top of our list right now. :D We were originally planning on Oahu, but are very open to other options.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Can any of you suggest a place for new divers that is cost effective and also has other "non-diving" things to do?

Thanks so much for your help!! It is MUCH appreciated!! :14:

Jaime

I think that Maui would fit the bill better than Bonaire. Bonaire is definitely a divers paradise but topside there is much to be desired. On Maui you can dive Molokini and the next day take the road to Hana or bike (coast) 38 miles down a mountain or enjoy the beach...Kaanapali is nice, good eats at Lahina, wind surf, surf, or swim in the waves off the north coast. You can also dive lava tubes, wrecks and Black Rock or even dive at the Maui aquarium. You don't have the easy access like Bonaire but there are other plentiful things to do.

divingjd:
Grand Cayman is very developed, I would say over-developed. We have only been there on layovers on the way to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. Seven Mile Beach is non-stop hotels (you can't even see the water from the road) opposite a series of US-style strip malls. I hear the East End can be nice and the diving is good all over Grand Cayman. It depends on what you are looking for.
This is a bit like arriving in New York City and saying the whole US is over-developed...

We just returned from the Big Island of Hawaii (Kona) -- we had a great time, but everyone kept saying that October is really the best month: great weather, water at its warmest, and few tourists (except for during the Iron Man competition, which will be 10/21 this year). Hawaii offers a great mix of diving and topside activities -- the only caveat is that you shoudn't expect colorful coral. The fish life is impressive, though, and the manta ray night dive is not to be missed!

Damselfish:
This is a bit like arriving in New York City and saying the whole US is over-developed...
Yeah, I guess it is. Sorry for being unfair to Grand Cayman. I guess it just shows my preference/prejudice when I go on a dive trip. I'm looking to get AWAY! Personally, I would be a lot happier if Cozumel didn't have a McDonalds, a KFC, or any other US chain restaurant. I like it when I go someplace my mobile phone doesn't work and they tell me "Si, senor, FedEx, she comes next week." That's why Little Cayman and Cayman Brac are two of my favorite places.

divingjd:
I like it when I go someplace my mobile phone doesn't work and they tell me "Si, senor, FedEx, she comes next week."

You'll love this place then, www.corallodge.com in Panama. It's an unbelievably remote and yet 1st class, romantic, incredible dive destination. Accessible only by boat, it'll knock your socks off. They even named a reef after us there, since we were the first to dive on it. Amazing. We loved it.

That looks awesome! Thanks for the tip. Is it really as cool as the website makes it look? Do you fly into Panama City, spend the night, then head out there the next day? What did you do about dive gear? That 25 lb. weight limit on the flight is brutal. Do they at least have good rental gear?

Sorry to jack the thread a little.

Don,

The website describes the resort perfectly (we were worried when we booked, it's easier to make a good looking website than a good looking resort). In this case, they exceeded their advertising.

Yes, we flew into Panama City (I went through Atlanta, a little less than 3 hours) and were driven from our hotel to Portobelo the next morning by Clay Jorgenson at www.panamadivers.com From Portobelo it was all by boat, stopping to dive along the way. You can also fly from Panama City to Porvenir, and boat from there (there are no roads to the lodge). We brought along our own gear, so no idea on rentals, but I know I was carrying over 35 pounds and wasn't charged any extra (not sure if we'd taken the local flights). It was quite an experience to dive someplace that is not yet a "beaten path" destination, I'd highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Try Mataking. It is near Sipadan. It has wonderful dive and non dive activities for the family and honeymooners as well. If you are game, let me know. Thanx

Reg

If you can go for 2 weeks, I definitely recommend Hawaii. The Four Seasons on Maui is exceptional. If not, Bonaire is a great choice b/c it is below the hurricaine area. Not much else to do on Bonaire is more of an advantage for newlyweds :wink:

sspadafo:
If you can go for 2 weeks, I definitely recommend Hawaii. The Four Seasons on Maui is exceptional. If not, Bonaire is a great choice b/c it is below the hurricaine area. Not much else to do on Bonaire is more of an advantage for newlyweds :wink:

Four Seasons Maui vs. Bonaire ? LOL, forget about comparing apples to oranges, that's like comparing apples to lobster. :D

Back
Top Bottom