SAFE SECONDS `to buy or not to buy`

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
Read the threads mentioned and decide for yourself.

Of the various makes of "safe second", however, the Atomic SS1 is considered to be the best by a long shot.

I prefer a traditional octo, myself. Cheaper, too. :)

Agreed-I'm sure it's great but $$$$!

rapidiver:
Agreed-I'm sure it's great but $$$$!

Couple of years ago I bought a pair of SS1's and paid $188 each. Tax on top of that.

Heck, I've solved the dilemma by carrying both. I like my AIR2, and as long as you know how to manage the BC's other air dumps, no problems in ascent. But adding a "standard" octo was desirable when I started assisting with OW instruction. Haven't removed the AIR2, which breathes just fine at 120FSW.

No problems yet... and yes, I LOVE having extra failure points!

divnamite:
"Safe Second" is more than adequate for recreational diving. All those difficult ascent or short hoses problems are training problems, nothing to do with the fact you are using "safe second".
Have you used an one in an ooa situation?

To the op I would suggest trying one out if your shop will let you do so. They offer less clutter with less manuverability (please excuse my spelling). I dont have much dive experience but it didnt take me long to see that I realllllyyy didnt like this thing. Good luck with whatever you decide and happy diving :)

IMO integrated sefe seconds are a death trap. But whatever....I'd go with a alternate reg. Look into a long hose and bungee set up, if you want to.

I have. Once in a real OOA situation and many times teaching. No problem sharing air and ascending with an AIR2. As I said in the earlier post, this has been covered ad nauseum in other threads.

divermike1989:
IMO integrated sefe seconds are a death trap. But whatever....I'd go with a alternate reg. Look into a long hose and bungee set up, if you want to.
Based on personal experience, I can tell you it's not a death trap. Any basis for your opinion?

divingjd:
I have. Once in a real OOA situation and many times teaching. No problem sharing air and ascending with an AIR2. As I said in the earlier post, this has been covered ad nauseum in other threads.

With all due respect, my post was not directed to you. The similarities in your name and the person I posted to might have caused confusion. Happy diving :)

I have an Air2, the Tusa Duo-Air, and I like it. However if I had it to do over again I would get a standard octo. My biggest complaint is that if you have a probem with your BC or your Reg neither of them now use standard connectors so your dive day is typically done unless you rent both a reg and BC. If you had standard connectors you could just rent the one broken piece or if you're lucky borrow from someone else who had a spare. I have also found that when practicing an out of air ascent I often need to take my air2 out of my mouth to vent, that is less than ideal. That being said I have had both my reg and my mask kicked off my face and it was priceless to know where my octo was immediately. Of course you should always know where your octo is, even if you're not using an air2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom